Is it ok to cover internal upvc cladding with plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home has upvc cladding beneath the living room and main bedroom windows (inside and out). These rooms get particularly cold in the winter and I have noticed that there is a draft coming in through the joints.

I wanted to cover the internal part with insulation and plaster board to insulate the room better. Is this possible? Would there be issues with damp?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it not possible to remove the cladding internally?

Either way just make sure you have a decent moisture barrier (taped polythene) over the insulation/ stud work to stop any warm internal air reaching cold surfaces.

Is it not possible to remove the cladding internally?

Either way just make sure you have a decent moisture barrier (taped polythene) over the insulation/ stud work to stop any warm internal air reaching cold surfaces.

Thanks for the advice,

Not sure if it is - I thought the cladding was all one piece inside and out. I will check it out.

Otherwise is a case of having polythene on the cladding then insulation then stud work?

Cheers

my thought 2 layers off plastic[cladding and polythene] any water from any source will get trapped

Sponsored Links
my thought 2 layers off plastic[cladding and polythene] any water from any source will get trapped

Thanks for the help,

so (and forgive my dullness) it would be polythene on the cladding then insulation then more polythene and the the stud work?

Thanks again

normally you have one waterproof membrain or layer that stop water/damp one side to the other so you have one side designed for wet/damp and well ventilated and the other side at worst damp but able to breath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back