Is it ok to use two washers in a shower hose connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! TL;DR - I used two washers, one on top of the other, to fix a leaking shower hose connection. Is this a good idea or not?

Longer version: I just replaced my old rusty shower hose. When I fitted the new hose using a single washer for the connection to the wall, water sprayed out of that connection when the shower was turned on. I suspected the screw thread on the new hose was too long for the washer to be pressed flush with the connection, causing water to leak out the threads. I tried it again, this time with two washers, one on top of the other. This time it worked - no leaks.

That seems like a positive step, but it feels like a bodge fix and I'm aware I know very little about plumbing. Is doubling up on washers what I should be doing in this situation, or is there something better I should be doing instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Yeah. Fine.

Always better to buy a brand and take note for when you need replacement parts. Fixtures and fittings vary a bit

Sponsored Links
I tend to cut the end of the hose but I have a dremel that takes care of that in jig time. Wouldn't be the first time 2 washers have been used, though it can be a bit hit and miss whether it seals up properly. Look at the hose ends though as one may be shorter than the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back