is it or isnt it, that is the question!?!?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya

i am a lil damsell in distress..... i live in a mid terrace house. upstairs in my bedroom, i want to knock the wall between bedroom and the bathroom down and move it back a little bit to give me a bigger bedroom and then half my bathroom to build an ensuite.....
i can be a little hands on some times and like to give things ago myself...

however, i do not know if it is a supporting wall or not...
how can i tell?????

Sponsored Links
have a look in the loft and determine whether the wall is carrying the ceiling joists, a ceiling binder or carries on up to support a purlin or truss member.

the wall may also offer lateral restraint to its adjoining walls. this may mean leaving nibs or sticky out bits, thus not allowing you to cut the wall all the way back flush to the adjoining walls.

ok, i will do this but could you tell me what im looking for... basically what does the joist look like??? this is probably basic stuff for your guys... but a first for me...

the ceiling joists are the individual linear timber members that support or cradle the ceiling. these are usually spaced at 400mm (16"), 450mm (18") and 600mm (24").

these span the entire ceiling and are connected to the rafter ends. the rafters are the diagonal roof members that form the slope to the roof and carry the roof tiles.

the rafters are sometimes supported mid-span or 1/3rd spans by a purlin/s. this is usually a hefty timber that is carried by the dividing walls or gable end walls.

Sponsored Links
so if there is a wall in the ceiling going up to the roof beams then then its a supporitng wall???

how do u know if the wall is carrying the joists or not???

sorry to be so daft, just dont want my house to fall down.... lol

In a terrace, ceiling joists will normally go front to back.

If your bathroom is in line with the bedrooms front to back, then it may or may not support the joists

If the bathroom is between the bedroom an the neighbours (more likely for a terrace), then it wont support the joists, but it may be holding up something going across the house - a purlin or something.

Go in the loft, find the top of the wall and see if there is anything resting on it that with goes vertically, or goes across between the neighbours walls

I suspect this wall may be the one which runs down the side of the landing too. It may support a purlin by way of a wall in the loft or a vertical or angled timber post

Have a look and let us know

yeh that is how it looks for below... will go in the loft tomoz and get back to u guys tomoz... thanks so much for your help.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back