Is it possible to extend a raked ceiling house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have done some searching but cant find much info.

I have a 2 bed end of terrace house build in the mid 50's, i currently have an AWFUL conservatory that is freezing....i am planning to replace it with an extension at some point.

I have been thinking that as the house has what i think are raked ceilings upstairs (slope down to window, soffits in line with top of windows)is it possible to have an upstairs extension if so how is it done.

i just can see how it is possible as the extension would have a very low jointy bit :D as in the bridge between old and new.

Sorry if that dont make sense as im finding it hard to explain.

cheers

Mark

Sponsored Links
I think you're assuming that the extension will have a flat roof.
But if you put on a duo-pitched roof, like this:
View media item 29972
The new ridge would simply meet the old roof so far up.
If your raked ceilings also extend to a hip end of your roof, the new pitched roof can match these raked ceilings.

I'm not sure I understand that ...... :D

If I was to extended it would be the rear width of the house, my windows butt upto the soffets with just one course of bricks between them.

If the roof matched the existing should I not have a low walkway between the new and old,as in inside walking from house to the extension.

I know I'm not making much sense because I'm having a hard time explaining.what I mean.

Basically to match the actual ceiling height would mean removing the rake and the wall what would the support the roof?

Sorry I'm not helping much maybe need to do a drawing

Cheers

Anything is possible with deep pockets.. in the end you can remove the entire roof and redo it with a more traditional one.. costly and planning permission may be impossible but still possible..

Normally tho you would either just go single story.. or remove windows and roof structure rebuilding with new for the extension..

Sponsored Links
Aaah, you're concerned that the window lintels are below or near to head height and assume that any future 'door' lintel will be at the same height.
Not so. A wooden/metal beam/joist can be inserted to support the rafters and ceiling joists before they meet the wall plate. This beam will span the rear elevation of the existing house, situated some 1 or 2 metres from the current external wall.
This would provide sufficient head height to allow movement between the original and extension parts of the house.

New roof trusses would be designed to span the rear elevation with a girder truss joining the new and old roofs together.

A raked ceiling roof is possible with both traditional cut roof and truss rafter designs.

Regards roof trusses it will mean having a 'raised tie' system. slightly more involved than a simple fink truss but doable.

thats is red herring, exactly what i was thinking but not explaining too well.

i didnt think of that.....supporting the roof back inside the house.

I have been told that none of the upstairs walls support the roof and that when the house was build the upstairs is plaster boarded first then door linings fitted to the rafters (i do have this as i noticed when replacing them) then the walls are built upto the door casings (blocks straight onto foor)

So as a further question could i re arrange my upstairs and id quite like to do that if i extend to even things up a bit :)

cheers

i didnt think of that.....supporting the roof back inside the house.
And the upstairs ceiling joists.

I have been told that none of the upstairs walls support the roof and that when the house was build the upstairs is plaster boarded first then door linings fitted to the rafters (i do have this as i noticed when replacing them) then the walls are built upto the door casings (blocks straight onto foor)
Do you really mean the door linings are fitted to the rafters, or do you mean fixed to the ceiling joists, just while the blockwork is constructed?
It's not unusual for upstairs blockwork to be constructed off the floor.
But if you have no supporting walls downstairs and upstairs you may find the steel work expensive to support the roof and ceiling. Unless the girder truss can be designed to take that load. You'll need a SE anyway to calculate for steel, etc.
As Static said, how deep are your pockets?

So as a further question could i re arrange my upstairs and id quite like to do that if i extend to even things up a bit :)
You'd need to provide current and desirable layout diagrams before anyone can answer that one. Depending on your current layout and desirable layout, the future layout may be able to serve as some support to the steel work to support the roof.
But you're probably reaching the limit of my knowledge/expertise. Others on this forum are far more experienced than I.

I'd suggest you have a go at drawing the current layout and a future desirable layout and see what others think.

single story sounds good

:D

Its kind of made my mind up that 2 stories is probably more that i want to go

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back