Is it possible to have "full" and "dim" lightswitches?

I was using pretty cheap (all I could afford in my youth) 'high voltage' diodes in the 60s, so I'm not sure how old you think bernard's 'original install' may have been ;)

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps so, but they were neither cheap nor commonly available back then. Transistor radios were still using germanium.

Sponsored Links
I did that years ( about 16 ) ago and the flicker was terrible.
That's obviously the theoretical risk - but I have to say that when I've done it (in the distant past), I seem to have had acceptable results. Albeit at half the frequency, it is similar to the 100 Hz flicker one ought to get when dimming an incandescent bulb 'in the usual way'.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps so, but they were neither cheap nor commonly available back then. Transistor radios were still using germanium.
Copper oxide and selenium rectifiers.
This was very late 60s (possibly very early 70s) - you can see the four ('top hat') diodes (not copper oxide or selenium - I thing silicon 1N540 or similar) of the bridge (with SCR/thyristor below). The second photo, showing the 'reverse', is proof that I was 'in my youth' at the time :)

upload_2021-5-18_17-42-56.png

upload_2021-5-18_17-43-29.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was using pretty cheap (all I could afford in my youth) 'high voltage' diodes in the 60s, so I'm not sure how old you think bernard's 'original install' may have been ;)

Kind Regards, John

Only Bernard can answer that..

Another problem with using a diode is that you put DC on the mains and you would need to change your RCD to a type A (so Eric tells us).

I have some coloured LED lights outside which are nominally 2W each - so a string of 40 is "a bit bright" for the size of garden :D At the moment they run at 55V from a home-made site transformer my late father made using whatever transformer he had lying around. The transformer obviously suited it, and he had a suitable switch in the bits box, so made it switchable between 55V and 110V.
I've just been searching for a transformer to use on a second set I've just put up. It's been hard work finding one with suitable windings for an auto-transformer - eventually I found a 100VA one from Mouser with 115 primary and 60-0-60 secondary which should do the job nicely.
I think I'll have to employ some electronics and relays eventually as I can't find the right switch for what I want to do with it. I want (with this transformer) a selection of off, 60V, 120V, or full mains with the transformer not powered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back