Is it possible to "range rate" an Ideal Icos HE15?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am the proud owner of an Ideal Icos HE15 that is 17 years old and somehow still functioning.

I know that this boiler cannot modulate down very well, but I have got it working reasonably well and have spent a decent amount of time getting the pump speed sorted & balancing the heating system.

The problem I have is on boiler start-up once the system is already hot.

The boiler runs as normal and modulates as low as it can before cycling once the return temps rise. When the return temps fall it ignites again but the boiler appears to start in a full-power mode and does not modulate down fast enough. This means that the flow temps rise rapidly and the boiler cycles again.

I would like to be able to reduce the maximum output of the boiler, so that when it fires it does so at a reduced power-output so that the modulation has chance to kick in properly.

I've read about "range rating" for other (more modern) boilers, and would like to know if this is possible with my boiler.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back