Is it possible to remove staircase railing (and put back).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have a very narrow staircase and a kitchen on first floor (Town House problems). When we were moving in, my fridge didn't fit through here and I had to hire a hoist to put it through the first floor window. Now, the day came where my fridge started acting up and I am worried that I will have to bear the same cost again. I did some calcs and if I remove the railings on my staircase, I can actually tip the fridge sideways a bit and fit it through the staircase by avoiding the ceiling.

I will cut out a box to simulate this, but the question is, 1- can I remove the railings from the staircase without damaging the structure 2- can I actually convert it to a removable structure for future cases? (some type of screw or another thing that I can remove during moves).

I am attaching a photo of the staircase. Any opinion is welcome.

Regards,
Ollie

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_113947.jpg
    IMG_20200530_113947.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 342
Sponsored Links
It sounds plausible but I think you would need to remove and discard what you have and then rebuild a removable identical self supporting element that could be removed. Sounds like a right faff.

Surely the newel post is mortised and pegged and possibly screwed as well to both the upper and lower stringers and therefore can't readily be removed (it is structural integral to the stairs). Not sure that cutting it off and making the top of it together with making the spindles and handrail demountable would be legal in any case - to meet the regs they are supposed to be fixed, aren't they?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should just make a box and try it without dismantling the staircase.
If it passes through the upper enclosed area of the stair case then surely it just needs to turn the corner at the bottom.
Some muscle power needed me thinks.
Small sized fridges are available.

Sponsored Links
Possible to remove the door to make it smaller for removal?
If it won't still go down either put a ladder up to the window and slide it down controlled by a rope .sling it out as a last resort then buy a smaller fridge :mrgreen:

It’s possible to build a removable section but hard to cut out existing and reuse .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back