Is it possible to repair worn upvc window hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 24 inch ones on a large top hund window, they are dropping down so I assume worn.
Is there some way to repair them ideally in place to save removing the large window on the 1st floor?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't repair friction hinges, there's nothing to dismantle as it's all riveted together so only course of action is to replace, why do you think 1st floor is a problem?

Thanks, beacause its on the first floor, it seems like the glass would need to be removed and the inner frame brought in to fit the hinge.

Or someone on a ladder to unscrew one hinge at a time, hold the weight and someone on the inside to screw in to the outer frame.

Or is there an easier way?

But the person on the ladder supporting the weight also has to unscrew the hinges from the side, the sash will likely have to be fully open to reach the top corner screws which means the person in the inside will struggle to support anything and once you unscrew either side then the sash suddenly becomes rather heavy, couple that with the screw holes in the new hinges will be in a different position to the old so now your in a whole world of pain, trust me it's easier to deglaze and unscrew the sash and bring it in

Sponsored Links
Maybe you over estimate the work to de-glaze the window. Its likely you can remove internal beads, take the glass out and then do the work. A pro will have the whole lot done within their minimum charge - de-glazing and re-glazing takes mere minutes and is a straightforward task.

In the 1 in 10 chance of an older window and its externally beaded, its a bit more work however, as the glass needs to come out and down the ladder!

Thanks, it's internally glazed, I did the last one with my wife but she has a bad back so don't want to do that again.
Also we did struggle getting the beading back in again.
I'm going to get some quotes for it I think.

Thanks, it's internally glazed, I did the last one with my wife but she has a bad back so don't want to do that again.
Also we did struggle getting the beading back in again.
I'm going to get some quotes for it I think.
I found beading also to be a faff. Have to whack it quite hard to get it started, whilst being very aware of the glass you don’t want to crack!

Yes I’d have a pro do it too I think. Also indemnifies you if something fell during the job or after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back