Is it possible to replace this blind with the curtain pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to replace this blind with the curtain pole? Take ball off one end and fix it somehow to what I suspect is plasterboard? I guess going into pvc won't allow curtain to go far enough either side. Or is it another blackout blind?
20231115_180301.jpg
20231115_175258.jpg
20231115_175310.jpg
20231115_180724.jpg
20231115_175927.jpg
20231115_180305.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To be honest, I would keep the blind.
If you fix a curtain inside of the reveal (up against the window) then you will have so much curtain bunched-up, when it is open that it will block out the light.
Instead, you could fix it to the main wall and have the curtain opening to the left side only. You'd obviously need to find good fixings for the brackets. It's no good securing into the plasterboard only as the curtain weight will pull it down.
On the r/h side, I would affix a wooden block or 12mm ply with a hole drilled, the size of the pole. The end of the pole can simply slide into this. And yes, remove the finial from the right end but leave on, at the left side.

The ball thing is called a finial.

You could remove both and fix it to the outer limits of the uPVC frame but with those fittings, you would need to set the pole low enough to drop the pole in.

To be honest, I would keep the blind.
If you fix a curtain inside of the reveal (up against the window) then you will have so much curtain bunched-up, when it is open that it will block out the light.
Instead, you could fix it to the main wall and have the curtain opening to the left side only. You'd obviously need to find good fixings for the brackets. It's no good securing into the plasterboard only as the curtain weight will pull it down.
On the r/h side, I would affix a wooden block or 12mm ply with a hole drilled, the size of the pole. The end of the pole can simply slide into this. And yes, remove the finial from the right end but leave on, at the left side.
It's a small window so strong fixings for the one bracket on left then three hollow wall anchors on the right to hold 12mm ply in place?

How far to left would you put bracket?

Sponsored Links
It's a small window so strong fixings for the one bracket on left then three hollow wall anchors on the right to hold 12mm ply in place?

How far to left would you put bracket?
You need it far enough away from the window to enable the bunching of the curtain when it is open. Depends on the quantity and thickness of material used tbh. I'm guessing your window is what, 600 wide? Fix the bracket, say 100 from the edge of the window? Have a Google.

If you can't find a studding timber to secure to then you need to add extra fixings. Perhaps an identical square piece of ply to the other and fix with three screws the same? At least they would match.

Ok think it's ok, but the right side is wedged into the hole, even though it's tight there's no screw stopping it being pulled out however seems OK for now.

Also looks unprofessional putting all my required for job tools in a Sports Direct bag. I remember j and k recomended a sift bag or something. Not sure what he meant
20231205_202133.jpg
20231205_202116.jpg
20231205_201145.jpg
20231205_201137.jpg
20231205_180953.jpg
20231205_201125.jpg

Ok think it's ok, but the right side is wedged into the hole, even though it's tight there's no screw stopping it being pulled out however seems OK for now.

Also looks unprofessional putting all my required for job tools in a Sports Direct bag. I remember j and k recomended a sift bag or something. Not sure what he meantView attachment 324009View attachment 324010View attachment 324011View attachment 324012View attachment 324013View attachment 324014
Looks good. The only thing I'd say is, you don't need so much overhang to the left of the left hand fixing. You need enough width fir one ring only. Presumably it slides into itself?
Good job though!
If you're concerned about the pole dropping out of the plate on the right, fix another plate the same, on to the face of the current one.

Last edited:
Would have to buy pole too as the pole i had was 27mm this clothes rail bracket 25mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back