Is it possible to wallpaper over cork veneer wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a British painter and decorator living and working in Germany.

I have been asked to quote for repapering the hall stairs and landings of an old house with 3 floors that is currently covered in cork veneer wallpaper and has been for at least 20 or 30 years. The plaster underneath is crumbly and the wallpaper is still very well adhered everywhere except one small spot. The customer wants to repapering directly over the top with glass fibre paper.

My question is this: will the new wallpaper adhere well over the old cork wallpaper without stripping? I assume that I will have to size in the appropriate paste before I start. Customer is meanwhile going to do a test patch.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I am a British painter and decorator living and working in Germany.

I have been asked to quote for repapering the hall stairs and landings of an old house with 3 floors that is currently covered in cork veneer wallpaper and has been for at least 20 or 30 years. The plaster underneath is crumbly and the wallpaper is still very well adhered everywhere except one small spot. The customer wants to repapering directly over the top with glass fibre paper.

My question is this: will the new wallpaper adhere well over the old cork wallpaper without stripping? I assume that I will have to size in the appropriate paste before I start. Customer is meanwhile going to do a test patch.

Any advice gratefully received!

Every fibre of my being cries, No! Don't agree to it. If the plaster is not solid and secure, the added weight of the new paper may be the last straw. Plus, the effect of the new glue on the old cork stuff is unpredictable. I've known it bring the old stuff off the wall even when it seemed well adhered beforehand.

Tell him you'll only re-paper if he strips the old stuff and if need be has the walls re-skimmed. Otherwise, you are risking an expensive disaster.

Thanks for the good advice. Hypothetically if the plaster was good enough underneath, would you be able to hang paper directly on top of the veneer? and as an alternative, do you think it could be painted directly? I think the customer would like to avoid stripping as it will significantly increase the cost of the job. He has already taken off hessian and bamboo off walls in other rooms in the house! It is an old house with plenty of german character! Otherwise I will ask if he has had any german firms quote.

The customer will always say he doesnt want to take it off to save cost but, if after it is all done and starts to come apart or fall off he will be coming back to you to put it right. There is no guarentee that the new paper will even stick to the cork. Maybe a coat of Zinsser Gaurdz may be beneficial first.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back