Is it possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it actually possible to drive a manual car without using the clutch, a friend told me that if you get the revs right you can change gears, not something I'd like to try to be honest, just wondered what damage it would do?

Sponsored Links
yes you can. With synchromesh, the gears will not actually slide together if the revs are wrong. there is no great advantage, it will be slower than a gearchange with the clutch. I suppose it will wear out the synchro cones faster. If you want to try it, you can push on the gearlever as you are slowing down, towards a lower gear, and you wil find it will not "go" until the revs are right.

It is commonly done on motorcycles for a fast change, which have a different kind of gearbox and very little inertia to the engine. If you get the revs wrong you get what a motoring pioneer described as "prolongued side-grubbing off the teeth"

You can't do it from a standstill, though since the wheels are not moving, and the engine is, so you can't match their speeds.

easily done with practise.

regularly drive in cars with broken clutch cables for repair.

just have to remember to start engine in first gear and go for it :D

Sponsored Links
The technique is quite simple.

When accelerating and wanting to change gear, ease off the gas pedal while gently pushing the gear lever out of the current gear - then VERY gentlty push it toward the next gear while slowly increasing the engine revs, if you rev the engine slowly enough the gear lever should slip into gear suprisingly smoothly.

When wanting to change gear while slowing, take the car out of gear before easing off the gas or breaking and the persuade the gear lever into the next gear in the same way as above. i.e. rev the engine slowly, while gently pushing the gear lever.

I learned this technique in my Frontera when a local garage (A. P. TYRES of Rawmarsh, Rotherham) spent 3 months refusing to replace a dodgy clutch they bodged in place. They eventually refunded me once my credit card an my local Trading Standards got involved.

low revs for changing up through the gears, higher revs for changing down

hehehe why on earth would you wanna drive a car like an ERF TRUCK.

why not try double d clutch why your at it, clutch done outa gear clutch upo let rev drop clutch down into gear.

the method of driving without clutchin is for older vehicles with eaton gearbox's such as leyland daf erf and many more old rust bucket trucks, theres absolutley no need to drive a car without clutch what so ever.

other than making a prat of yourself and crashing the gears casuing alsorts of caos in junctions, what are you going to achieve.

as for those who say they do it regular not in my car you wouldnt, if your a repair guy why on earth do you need to drive it, it should be towed in preference. any garage sending a spanner to drive it in aint worth a rank.

former hgv driving instructor.

"... other than making a prat of yourself and crashing the gears casuing alsorts of caos in junctions, what are you going to achieve...."

As i said, it was the only way of driving my only car while i argued with a dodgy garage.

techwondo said:
"... other than making a prat of yourself and crashing the gears casuing alsorts of caos in junctions, what are you going to achieve...."

As i said, it was the only way of driving my only car while i argued with a dodgy garage.

not havin personal pops but making clear that doing so for absolutley anyone in a car is ludicrus and pose a danger to other road users in their actions.

this guy who wants to knwo about slipping gears is nwo likely to give it a try and pose danger to others in his non experienced attempt for what to prove it can be done.

im sure youll proberbly recall trucks stuck in traffic lights, where you had to slam one coz the hit gear at incorrect spead for gear grinding the box like hell, where you proberbly thought crappy driver as you near collide with rear end.
well what happens when sum muppet in car does it?????

so its unsafe to practice something potentially dangerous on the queens highway. tell that to all the bl***y driving instructors using residential side streets to teach in. will my kids ever be safe?

the back end of this trail assumes that our hero would try this on the open road without practicing somewhere safe. he should be applauded for wanting to be prepared - what happens if your clutch cable or hydraulics go pop and some impatient nerk undercuts you whilst you are trying to coast to the hard shoulder? instead of collecting 3 lanes of traffic at least you can grab the nearest sprocket and try to drive out of it.

this website is here to help people, not put them down - that's the governments job ;)

hey Im not going to try this, it was a passing comment and I just wondered if it was possible

Doyle said "any garage sending a spanner to drive it in aint worth a rank."

I'm not going to lie under anybody's car in winter with snow on the ground trying to replace a broken clutch cable with my fingers all white. I'm going to stick it in gear, start it up and, drive it in. Then I'm going to change the cable under the heater. And, I'll bet I don't crash the gears once.

hear hear.

couldn't even be bothered to reply to that know it all.

Sponsored Links
Back