Is it really this expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to re-paint my fascia boards and was also planning to repaint my black OSMA squareline guttering and drain pipes. However, I noticed some issues with a number of connectors, pipes and brackets and decided it may be an easier job to remove all the guttering and drain pipes, paint the fascia boards, then replace the guttering/drain pipes with new.

The house is 17 years old and these are all original fittings. Before I was aware of the guttering brand, I noticed that screwfix sold something very similar and the prices didn't appear to be too bad. While measuring up, I determined the existing brand was OSMA; OSMA 5 pvc-u 61mm was written on one of the drain pipes. While trying to price up this make, I became aware they are VERY expensive, in fact, unbelievably expensive, to the point where I'm now reconsidering just painting them and only replacing the damaged joints and brackets.

As an example, a 4m length of 100mm OSMA squareline guttering (4T874B) is £36.30 and a 5.5m length of 61mm pipe (4T888B) is £54.41. A single gutter support bracket (4T819B) is £3.43. That would work out at £150 + Vat for gutter brackets alone! For goodness sake, it's a moulded piece of plastic! These are prices from a Wavin OSMA trade price list dated 1st March 2016, so I assume they don't include VAT and I probably won't be able to get these "low" prices as I'm not trade.

Am I missing something here or is this brand really expensive, at least compared to the Screwfix FloPlast brand? Is it because the Wavin products are much better quality than FloPlast? I have considered using the Screwfix FloPlast brand, but as this is slightly bigger I would definitely need to replace everything and wouldn't be able to use any of the existing guttering parts e.g. stop ends, brackets that are in good condition.

I would appreciate some feedback on prices and quality of the Wavin OSMA brand.

Sponsored Links
Er, I think what you have been looking at is list prices.

As an example we pay about 50p for a gutter bracket and about a tenner for a 5.5m length of DP from National Plastics. Including the dreaded.

Last edited:
PS square guttering is pants especially the down pipes. Switch to round if I were you.

Hi noseall, those prices seem much better! Are they specifically for Wavin OSMA squareline or for a similar brand?

Why do you say round guttering is better than square? It's not something I've ever thought about to be honest, but I'm struggling to understand why square would be worse. I read something that suggested that the same size square can cope with more water than round guttering/pipe and can see why, but then I guess you could argue that "larger" round guttering would also achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Whilst square does have marginally better volume capacity the down pipes (especially the swan necks) are not very versatile or flexible unlike the round ones. You only have four directional options with square whilst round ones can swivel or rotate(y)
Besides, who wants square guttering.:cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back