Is it reasonable to view builders' previous work?

Sponsored Links
When other people are marketing your services for zero gain, then there is no better advertising.
I've got no problem anyone checking my work if it's still standing after the 12 month defect period has ended.

However a proven trait that people will exhibit is what is called "confirmation bias" when they attempt to check products and services that they know little about. This basically means that they will make irrational and often wrong decisions based purely on preconceptions, not on the evidence. I've mentioned some of the common mistakes above.
The finished article is only part of the package and not all customers are that naïve as to form a (complete) opinion of a builder by how well he top 'n' tails his perp's. However, viewing the job is a good start. A lot of builders are proud of their work and their product should stand as testament to this.

Anyone that procures contractors or firms for a living will tell you that despite doing everything right in the selection process, its still possible to get a crap contractor. Even with the same firm there are good and not so good people.

IMO, its more essential to have a good specification and contract information as well as a contract to deal with issues as they occur.

Building is more of a service than a product, so I would agree that questions related to the builder's carrying out of the work can be more beneficial than actually looking at the work.

Sponsored Links
Building is more of a service than a product, so I would agree that questions related to the builder's carrying out of the work can be more beneficial than actually looking at the work.
Yes it is, in the same way beautiful bricklaying could be used to hide a heap of misery behind.

However, beautiful bricklaying with perfect matching bricks and mortar, coupled with an immaculate roof, neat fascias and guttering, tidy groundworks and quality windows allows a certain door to be opened regards perhaps some dialogue about whoever built it.
And, if the resulting conversation goes like this......
"the builder was on time every day, he was there every day, he was tidy, approachable, transparent with financial issues, had an excellent work rate, did the job on budget and on time and finished the job to our satisfaction."

Winner winner chicken dinner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back