Is it Safe/Sensible to Remove this Gas Hob Myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never had any gas appliances, but the new house came with a gas cooker. We have an induction cooker, which luckily is the exact same dimension.

So I figured I'd pop the old gas HOB out and put the new induction cooker in. Trouble is, I don't know anything about gas.

Is it just a matter of turning the valve to the off position, disconnecting it and swapping it out? Or is this something that needs to be done by a Gas Safe person?
IMG_20201022_185717.jpg

I have a boiler service booked in, so will have it capped outside (it enters on the outside wall), but not until January and would like to avoid double call out fees.

Sponsored Links
It needs to be capped by a qualified person, you can't just leave the valve turned off.

Edit

Can't, not can. Damn phone.

Last edited:
I will have it capped by a professional in January. Is it safe to turn the valve off and remove it for now though?

Sponsored Links
No. You mentioned you know nothing about gas, so please leave it there.

I will have it capped by a professional in January. Is it safe to turn the valve off and remove it for now though?
No sorry, I've edited my post, you can't just turn the valve off and leave it for that amount of time. The valve is for limited time use for service and suchlike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back