Is it safe to plug a timer into an extension lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fish tank which needs four plugs, all of which are plugged into an extension lead due to the location of the tank. All is fine. However, I would like to put the lights on a timer so that they come on at 9am and go off at 9pm.

Is it safe to plug one of those plug-in timers into an extension lead? It's one of the mechanical ones with a peg for each 15 minute interval. Sorry for the lack of technical language!

Any advice appreciated,

Kev

Sponsored Links
Yes, perfectly acceptable as long as it will fit :) (some leads, especially those four way ones for computers, etc, don't have much room around the sockets and if you have anything plugged in adjacent to where you want to put a timer, etc, the timer will catch on it and not fit)

The timer plugged into an extension lead is about as safe as 4 items running from an extension lead. Yes

Great, thanks.

P.S. - Who do I sue if it blows up and kills all by fish????? *JOKE*

Sponsored Links
The things you have to be careful about, with a timer, are heating appliances like fan heaters and (do they still exist?) electric fires. When they are off, people might stand then against furniture, or come home drunk and drop their coats on them. Later, when the heater is unattended, it switches on by the timer and starts a fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back