Is this safe to all be plugged in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fish tank that currently has an extension lead and in it I have plugged my LED lights (30 watts), Filter (45 Watts) a thermomostat and a 600 watt heater.
The thermostat turns the heater on and off and is Wifi enabled too.

I've attached a diagram. I'd like to put a timer plug on the LED lights. Will this be OK plugged into the extension lead as shown?

Does this all look ok to you?

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• electrics.jpg
    electrics.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
600 Watts?

Just how big is your tank?

I used to use the rule of thumb of 5W per gallon for a typical domestic living room, 120 gallon is ~20 cubic feet or 500 Litres. If your tank is that big I'd always suggest using several smaller heaters to keep it fairly even.

Edit: Back in the day heaters were usually only 100W maximum. To be honest I'd be scared of what would happen if the thermostat failed on.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.
Tank is 465 litres.

I use a titanium heater. They are solid and are only a heater. The Thermostat is separate (Inkbird) where you set high and low max temperatures. It’s connected to Wi-Fi and will alert me if heater was to fail directly to my phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back