Is it worth paying extra for this gas fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to have a hole in the wall gas fire fitted but I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me if it's worth paying double for this at £1356 when there is this at nearly half the price?

Is there a big difference in quality or would I be just paying for the name/marketing?

There is a shop not far from me that sells the expensive one and can arrange the fitting. If I go with the other one then I will have to arrange it myself. I've already gone on my MyBuilder.com to invite quotes but haven't had much luck.

If it was just a case of a couple of hundred quid then I would just go for the Gazco but with over a £600 difference, that's quite a lot! - unless there's a massive difference in quality.

The cheaper one has a 5 year guarantee!

Thanks and hope you can help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Scirroco is Polish. Can't comment on quality, but what are the warranty arrangements?. In terms of who calls out and how quickly. Do you have to have an annual service AND change the ODS every year. Is a phone call sufficient to arrange visit or do you have to send of purchase, installation and service receipts (a la Focal Point) The Scirroco website says one year warranty. Ebay guy says 5?. Did you notice the logs are an extra £100?
the Scirroco is only 50% efficient and needs an air vent in the room

It would also be worth checking these points with the Gazco retailer.
Did you get an install price from the shop. Will the flue need lining
I would not use a MyBuilder type site for this. Find a local guy who has experience in such jobs. A lot can go wrong:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/find_a_registered_business.aspx

Get a RGI to survey BEFORE ordering the fire. Expect to pay for the survey. It is not a given that your flue is suitable.

Thanks very much.

Helped me realise that I should pay the extra to avoid any complications.

An engineer linked with the local fireplace shop is coming round on Saturday to assess the gas supply and chimney. Had a good conversation with him over the phone, sounds like it may not be possible in the end but at least I'll know.

Thanks again.

Just be sure to check on their after sales arrangements. Authorised stockists pof firms like Gazco tend to have their own fitters,but it is worth checking. Gas fire manufacturers are notorious for poor direct after sales, as they have historically relied upon their retailers being from within the trade and capable of repairs, the whole system fails when the retailer relies upon the manufacturer.
Frankly,if they say you have to phone manufacturer for any faults, then speak to another shop.But hopefuly they will be fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back