Is it worth using a basin waate seal kit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a snk with one of those cone shaped things that is supposed to seal the basin waste better than the usual washer.

It seems to be perishing and going funky.

I'm wondering if I should replace it with a new one or of I would be better just using the normal washer that comes with the waste?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks but don't they perish easily and fail?
This isn't the first time I have seen this.

These kits seem to be Marmite.
One issue I've had with them is if the threaded part of the waste fitting is quite short, then there isn't room for them
I prefer to fit waste into basin, then put plenty of silicone around gap between waste and basin, then fit washer, then vcrucially, put plenty of silicone around waste fitting beneath washer so that water can't creep around the threads and leak.
Put backnut on and pull it up, job done.

Sponsored Links
If the thread is long enough they work a treat.
Without them I prefer ls-x to silicone.

I have one fitted for about 12 years and it is perishing too. But that's quite a while. I read at the time I fitted it that plumbers gold is a good silicone to use, not sure if that is still the case.

As a pro I don't use them as I have a process whereby I can use what's supplied without any leaks. For DIY'ers they are a great 'get out of jail' addition to basin installs.

As a pro I don't use them as I have a process whereby I can use what's supplied without any leaks. For DIY'ers they are a great 'get out of jail' addition to basin installs.
Some basins are moulded so badly that the basin mate is a real godsend.
Great when the basin is supplied by the customers who's gone to the cheapest online retailer.
Agree that normally they're not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back