Is it worth while to overboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've just moved into a a new old flat. I live directly above my neighbour.

I've just spent a lot of money on good foam underlay (Tredaire Dreamwalk) and a deep pile carpet. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile strengething and evening out the existing floorboards with large sheets of ply before the underlay and carpet is fitted?

I've had a scan through the forums but it's usually someone asking about tiling. I think i'd feel better knowing there was an extra layer between me and the downstairs neighbour but it would be good to know if there was an actual benefit to overboarding.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
an extra layer of board will make no difference to sound insulation or floor level unless there are steps between boards greater than 10mm :eek: :eek:

If your existing floors are floor boards and they look unveven and bumpy then boarding over with ply will give a much smoother and levelled look when the carpets are installed. The thickness of the ply depends on how bumpy the floor boards are. 6mm is most commonly used over floor boards before installing carpets.
You often see uneven and what look like loose carpets in peoples houses, mostly because the floor boards have cupped and as the carpets settle they follow the shape of the floor they are laid on top of. When first installed they would look flat but over time the boards under neath telegraph through.

Sponsored Links
hard board is the traditional smoothing board used for carpet. its 3-4mm thick, is flexible enough to pull down tightly while fixing and thick enough to even out the normal lumps and bumps. if you've got any steps thicker than the hardboard itself then you may need to consider something thicker- like 6mm ply, but the ply is expensive and a bit extreme when fitting good underlay and carpet as they will self smooth all but trip hazards :cool:

if you're worried about sound or thermal insulation between you and the downstirs I'd recommend an insulation in the floor space. Its not a fun job as you have to take up a row of boards about every metre to do it properly but it works and you could buy the insulation on what you save on not buying the ply.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back