is moving cooker switch 8" to the right notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as title, also replacing the existing cooker switch with new. The existing cable (6mm on its own circuit) can be used as the 8" is in the direction of the main board (cable pulled up from old switch behind dot and dab and fed down again 8" to the right. House has 6 yr old CU with RCDs etc.

Sponsored Links
No, not notifiable.

The existing cable (6mm on its own circuit) can be used as the 8" is in the direction of the main board
If you mean along the run of the cable, then that will be alright as the cable should run horizontally or vertically from the switch.

(cable pulled up from old switch behind dot and dab and fed down again 8" to the right. House has 6 yr old CU with RCDs etc.
All good then.

as title, also replacing the existing cooker switch with new. The existing cable (6mm on its own circuit) can be used as the 8" is in the direction of the main board (cable pulled up from old switch behind dot and dab and fed down again 8" to the right.
Cooker switches have 2 cables.

one going in and one going from switch to cooker, is that what you mean by two cables?

Sponsored Links
No, not notifiable.

If you mean along the run of the cable, then that will be alright as the cable should run horizontally or vertically from the switch.

All good then.
ok thanks, the cooker cable runs from CU in garage, along the garage loft that runs front to back of house then goes through the wall into under a floor in a bedroom then double backs 1m approx through a joist and drops down behind dot and dab into switch. I would need to disconnect cable from switch, pull it up, drill new hole on wall back toward direction of CU, shorten the cable as it wont need to double back then drop it down the dot and dabbed wall vertically and into a new cooker switch which is 8" to the right of the existing one. So just to be clear, this is non notifiable??

Definitely non-notifiable - the cables have nothing to do with that. My concern was that you'd only mentioned moving one cable along with the switch, but depending on where they run two might have needed moving to stay within the safe zone.

good news for me then as it saves me a lot of aggro with timescale on some prepping as have sparky coming next week to do stuff that IS notifiable eg wire in cooker hood and spur off another socket into a FCU then to a socket to run cabinet lights. He will be well pleased, as charging half a day and now one job less to do:sneaky:

None of what you describe is notifiable.
really??? you sure? I thought it was. Kitchen is stripped out and needs a cooker hood installed one of those steel canopy things that screw to the wall with a flue. I have the hood and it has 2 wires coming out the back that need connecting to the mains. Theres a single socket on wall in the way of the flue that needs moving to the left and replaced with FCU, this can be done without joining as 2.5mm cable comes from above bedroom floor and has slack on it to allow the move - just needs feeding down the wall void like the cooker cable.

the other side of the kitchen has a twin socket near to worktop and it has been suggested to me that a FCU is spurred off it horizontally then a cable run vertically up the wall to a socket where I can plug the lighting in, leave it on and use the switch on the FCU to switch lights on/ off.

I thought this had to be done by Part P guy and be signed off as its new installations?

or am I confusing the terminology here ie notifiable and signing off.

I think I'm getting mixed with notifying the building control and getting it signed off by Part P Its my understanding the work in my posts has to be done by a Part P sparky who will then sign it off and give me a piece of paper confirming that. Sorry i thought that was the same as describing work as notifiable hence used that term.

All work should be tested, so the results may as well be recorded and given to you as an Electrical Certificate.

Part P of the Building Regulations states:

upload_2017-2-25_17-58-14.png

and that is all.

This has nothing to do with notification to the Local Authority.

ok my sincere apologies :( title of the thread is wrong! I should have asked can I move the cooker cable and replace the switch myself. Also can I wire in the cooker hood and install an FCU spurring horizontally off and next to a twin socket with a single socket coming off that at the top of the wall - all this in the kitchen!

I think I know the answer to the last two!

You can do all of it yourself.
If in England, none of it is notifiable.
If in Wales, it might be notifiable due to being in a kitchen.
Whether notifiable or not, you can still do the work yourself.
If not England or Wales, there is no Part P.

Part P sparky
No such thing either.

The situation is that in England and Wales, anyone can do any electrical work in their home, provided it complies with Part P - the single paragraph linked to previously about protecting persons from fire or injury.

For a few specific types of work, you must notify building control first. Wales has more notifiable things than England. Almost all electrical work is not notifiable. Notification involves paying a fee, usually £100+

An alternative to you doing the work and paying a fee £100+ is to employ someone who is a member of a self-certification scheme. They will do the work and notification as well. Because they pay an annual membership fee of £100s, they can notify individual work for a few pounds rather than £100s each. Probably a cheaper option for smaller work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back