is moving cooker switch 8" to the right notifiable?

can I move the cooker cable and replace the switch myself.
Yes, anyone may do it.
However, as with all work, you should have the necessary tools and equipment to ensure it is safe.

Also can I wire in the cooker hood and install an FCU spurring horizontally off and next to a twin socket with a single socket coming off that at the top of the wall - all this in the kitchen!
Same answer.

For a better appearance, just spur off the socket and put the socket, or just an FCU, at the top of the wall (or above a wall unit).

Sponsored Links
many thanks for all the input. I'm still confused about what I can do and what I cant. I was under the impression if I did electrical work in my kitchen apart from maintainance like replacing faulty socket fronts etc then I wasnt allowed to touch it and had to get an electrician in who would do the work and give me some kind of certificate. Also, I think its the case that if I sell the house I get asked on the sellers information form about any recent electrical work and that I tick yes, I have to back this up by proof that the work is safe (a certificate from a sparky) . Have spent ages this week reading post after post on various forums where joe public has queried how to do a job in his kitchen and he gets jumped on and told he's NOT allowed to do it - get a registered sparky in......

I do appreciate people taking the time to post here, thanks :)

I'm still confused about what I can do and what I cant.
You can do all of it, provided it is safe.

I was under the impression if I did electrical work in my kitchen apart from maintainance like replacing faulty socket fronts etc then I wasnt allowed to touch it and had to get an electrician in who would do the work and give me some kind of certificate.
Not true and never was.
The law requires that you notify building control before doing certain types of work such as replacing a consumer unit. For those few things, if you want to comply with the law, notify and pay the fee, do the work, and building control may visit and inspect it.

I think its the case that if I sell the house I get asked on the sellers information form about any recent electrical work and that I tick yes, I have to back this up by proof that the work is safe (a certificate from a sparky) .
You tick yes, and if people ask for these certificates, you do what everyone else does - tell them they do not exist.

Even where people have been provided with certificates for electrical, gas, new windows, insulation, heating systems and everything else, the reality is that most of them are thrown away or lost. Despite this, thousands of properties are sold every day without problems.

ok, thanks again. One last question, I think the regs changed in 2013 when alot of work in a kitchen became non notifiable. Is this when it became ok for a homeowner who is competent to do much of the work themselves?

Sponsored Links
I think the regs changed in 2013 when alot of work in a kitchen became non notifiable.
Yes. They did.

Is this when it became ok for a homeowner who is competent to do much of the work themselves?
Not really, a competent homeowner has always been allowed to do it - just had to pay between 2005 and 2013.
It's more when homeowners who are not competent again have no restrictions.
Not only a homeowner.
The restrictions were introduced to control ancillary trades which do electrical work - kitchen fitters, plumbers etc.

Why this was removed is anyone's guess. I have one.

It's more when homeowners who are not competent again have no restrictions.
Yes they do.

They are legally obliged to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury. If they are convicted of failing to do that then they are liable to a penalty of up to £5,000 for each offence and a further fine of up to £50 for each day that the default continues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back