Is my Elderly Neighbour getting ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my elderly neighbour seems to have entered into a contract without speaking to me first. The roofer cold called Tuesday and had the scaffold set up by Friday. They are doing a job for someone else on the road. It's a LTD company less than a year old. They haven't taken money upfront. I have no idea whether the work needs to be done or not but it is as follows:

For a 3 bed end terrace single fronted they are replacing the battens, putting new felt, and replacing the rafters at the verge which they say have rotted. Putting back the original tiles and replacing any cracked ones. Includes 10 year warranty which gets voided if someone else touches the roof.

Cost: £14,500

My feeling is this is high and they're going to discover a few more problems. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
They have a 14 day cooling off period in which to cancel regardless of the cost of any work the company says needs doing.

He is, probably, being ripped off. Far better if you talk to your neighbour, quickly, rather than asking on here.

They have a 14 day cooling off period in which to cancel regardless of the cost of any work the company says needs doing.
They wrote into the contract that this is waived if they start work, which they did far too quickly for my liking.

Sponsored Links
He is, probably, being ripped off. Far better if you talk to your neighbour, quickly, rather than asking on here.
Well obviously I've spoken to him or I wouldn't know about it. I want to know if this quote is high enough for me to call a fraud department. He doesn't know what to do about it either, what do you expect him to do? what do you expect me to do?

Have a word with Council Trading Standards that you are concerned regarding both elderly Neighbours have been talked into having this work done and not given a cooling off period .

Have a word with Council Trading Standards that you are concerned regarding both elderly Neighbours have been talked into having this work done and not given a cooling off period .
Good idea, thanks

They wrote into the contract that this is waived if they start work, which they did far too quickly for my liking.
They have broken the law then. Get straight onto trading standards and the Police. Tell the Police that your elderly neighbour
has fallen victim to a bunch of con artists that are scamming him out of a large sum of money.

Tell the company to remove their scaffold immediately or you will begin charging them for storage.

Gets better, they asked for a cheque for the full amount. The bank blocked this and the police came round, however said they were a legit company.

I've told him he can tell them to do one which is what I'd do, but he's worried about his roof.

Legit companies do not target the elderly and break the law. Complain to the local Police station otherwise that Police officer will make the same mistake again.

This is way over priced. I had my semi done in Lancs 3 years ago - similar job - roof off, roof back on, new felt, battens, approx 10% new (reclaimed) slates. £6.5K all in including scaffold. And it was a proper job.

He needs to tell them he has changed his mind and is paying nothing. You can't waive the 14 day rule - it is law. Most companies won't start installation until after the 14 days because the customer can reject even if work has started. Here's an answer about window contracts, but the same applies. https://www.resolver.co.uk/consumer-rights/windows-i-want-to-cancel-the-installation-complaints

He MUST tell them clearly, stop work, I don't want this, I am paying nothing and cancelling within my statutory 14 day cooling off period. Then go out and get 3 real quotes.

No reputable firm needs to go cold calling! and putting the scaffolding up a few days later.... hmm they are ripping him off...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back