Is my floor safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week I laid a new solid oak wood floor in the living room and corridor. The thickness of the wood is 18 mm and the width is 120 mm. The lengths vary between 600 mm and 120 mm. The subfloor is a mix of wood and concrete. The flooring had been left in the room for a week before installation. The dimensions of the room are 3.5 m x 4.5 me. The corridor extends from the room 1 m.
I wasn’t sure which installation method I should use. I had done some research about the installation. I discussed it with installer and he chose the floating floor method with 3mm underlay (This was the only method he knew). I was not entirely convinced that was the right way because I had never heard of it before. After he finished work the first day, I read the instructions which came with the wood. It stated the wood should be nailed down. This added to my dilemma.

The next day I discussed it with the installer again. As he had already laid the floor I convinced him to screw the boards at the edges of the floor by the walls.

Then I came across this forum. Reading through the posts, it seems you advocate the floating floor method.
The floor looks ok. There is some movement, but this might disappear with time.

Will the screws affect the floor? Should I leave them or remove them?

Also I am concerned about expansion gaps between the floor and the wall as they seem too small. He said if we make them bigger the bead wouldn’t cover them.

Your recommendations please

Sponsored Links
Remove the screws or you risk the boards rising into a hump in the middle when it expands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back