is my front door saleable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in 1933 house with it's original oak door and we are about to have a new door fitted. When they fit the new door they will just take away our old door but we were wondering is the old door something we could sell, i.e. are they an item that will sell easily or do people just let them be junked.

If they are saleable what sort of prices could you achieve on an old oak door.

Just seems a shame to chuck oak when it is such an expensive wood.

I believe it is old English oak and so will go dark if you even touch it with a coat it of anything as opposed to the modern preferred light American oak used on modern furniture.

Any info/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Put it on ebay, will get something for it

Old pine usually fetch about £35-45 in the auctions. We can't see our door so can't value it. The double glazers stick them all in the auctions.

Sponsored Links
My neighbour is about to replace her 1930s door (I have no idea why as it looks great and just needs a good strip and refurb) and if properly draft proofed, as good as any UPVC awfulness or composite door.

I had to get my original (same design) replaced a few years ago due to an unfortunate incident, and now have a very decent solid but modern timber replacment.

Needless to say, if she does replace it, I am going to swap it on to mine.

Just look on ebay at completed listings (under advanced options) when you search for 1930s front door and you will see what people have actually bought them for (rather than listed price).

Quite a few are listed at stupid prices, so try to find out what they actually go for. It varies depending on how unique the design is...does it have any unique features, is it in good condition....etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back