Is my house moving ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's bay window semi. since moving in 3 years ago a crack has appeared across the landing ceiling and started to move down the walls. Similar cracks have appeared on the ground floor roughly below in cracks on the landing. These cracks have moved 1-2 foot in the last 6 months.
I rung the insurance company and they said it's not subsidence as that starts at the bottom of the house and moves up.

Can anybody tell me what is happening and what should i do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A heck of a lot of houses are going to crack in this rather dry weather especially those built upon clay.

Could be heave then - in the middle of the house . only answer is a proper survey :cry: Maybe you have some strange substrate in the soil under part of the footings - All conjecture by me , good luck with it all ;)

Sponsored Links
I have a 1930's bay window semi. since moving in 3 years ago a crack has appeared across the landing ceiling and started to move down the walls. Similar cracks have appeared on the ground floor roughly below in cracks on the landing. These cracks have moved 1-2 foot in the last 6 months.
I rung the insurance company and they said it's not subsidence as that starts at the bottom of the house and moves up.Can anybody tell me what is happening and what should i do about it?

Thanks in advance.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: And you believed them??, seriously if one side of the house subsides, the damage will or at least can appear on the upper deck 1st ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back