Is my oil boiler a non-condensing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted about a month ago about my heating oil consumption which I think was quite heavy.

Well, I have only found out that my nearly 15 years old boiler is non-condensing if I'm correct, having read this link: https://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables?model=008191

It is Grant Euroflame 50/90 with Riello RDB1R burner (21.6 - 40.6 kW).

In the meantime, I have just purchased a digital thermostat with a 'delay start' feature to replace the old dial one in the hall - for better accuracy and hopefully saving some oil!

Also I suppose it is better to turn up the boiler to at least 70 C if that is correct?

Because at the lowest setting, it just take around 3 hours to warm up a couple of degrees from 16 to 18 C!

Sponsored Links
With that size boiler the consumption shouldn't be excessive get it serviced by a proper engineer
and then do a check.Bob

With that size boiler the consumption shouldn't be excessive get it serviced by a proper engineer
and then do a check.Bob
Ok I have had a couple of certified engineers serviced the boiler yearly in the past 5 years.

However, I think it could be that I had set non-condensing boiler's temperature to minimum so could this be a reason?

Since it does a lot of short-cycles as the house heating is always on 24/7 & is controlled by thermostat in the hall (16 at night & 18-20 at day)

If the boiler is short cycling, then this indicates that the system is not capable of handling the heat the boiler is producing, or the pump is not moving enough water. Without a full overview it is difficult to comment further. Is your system fully pumped or gravity hot water, which I suspect from the short cycling comments.
What do you consider to be excessive?

Sponsored Links
I should explain it better, I was thinking that if I had set the boiler temperature to minimum then I assume it would 'short' cycle to heat up more slowly and use less oil and I think it might not be effective because I already have thermostat set in the hall.

The thermostat on your boiler is quite short range, and probably only covers between 65oC to 80oC. Only you know how hot your radiators get.
If they don't reach trhat, then the boiler is not dissipating its heat.

The thermostat on your boiler is quite short range, and probably only covers between 65oC to 80oC. Only you know how hot your radiators get.
If they don't reach trhat, then the boiler is not dissipating its heat.
Short range? That's interesting.

Last night, I turned up to the max on boiler's dial and this morning, the heating came on and radiators were very hot, too hot to touch so was the hot water. I decided to dial it back to 70 C - exctly half-way between max and min.

Maybe it isn't effective to run at the minimum temperature and at the same time, I realised that it may not enough to heat water in the hot press (even though cylinder stats is set to 60 C) so there is a risk of bacteria in hot water.

See how it goes this winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back