Interpretation of oil boiler efficiency

Tranco very good boiler IMHO just need a good clean every year and resetting make sure the oil pressure is just a little bit under the stated pressure and it'll behave.Bob

Sponsored Links
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!
You need to buy an awful lot of oil to pay for a new condensing boiler and its installation. You then hope that your system will harvest the benefits of a more efficient boiler.

I've just had a service and my 20 year old non condensing oil boiler is running very nicely at 91% net efficiency and 86% gross.

Does this mean the most I stand to gain from a condensing upgrade (in terms of fuel consumption costs) is the difference between 86% and the ~94% gross quoted by Grant and the like in their brochures? Or is the additional heat recovery from the condensing function additional to this?

Thanks

It's not 91% efficient - you/your service engineer are confusing combustion efficiency with thermal efficiency, which is a different thing entirely. A boiler can be burning at 91% efficiency but still throwing 30% of its heat out of the flue rather than putting it into your heating system, thus making it 70% efficient.

Having said that, it's still not going to pay for itself if you have it replaced with a condensing model

Gentlemen - your expertise please?
When my Panda finally gives up (no 2 port valves, no cylinder stat, gravity HW, as basic as it gets) what are my options?
Panda has 2 flow / returns for CH and HW, hall thermostat controls CH pump. The existing system is cheap enough to run, there's plenty of HW, recovery is fine for the two of us and the cottage is cosy.
So....will I have to have a fully pumped system with a replacement boiler?
The beauty about the Panda is that its only about 300mm wide, and there's not a lot of extra space available without some thought.....the cost isn't a concern, it'll cost what it costs.
Ta for reading!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, you'll need to go fully pumped @Burnerman, but with all the connections on one side on the new boiler you'll gain enough room I should think. Hounsfield boilers are good and only 350mm wide

Cheers Andrew, that's what I thought.....I remember Ricky (Boilerman 2) was a great supporter of Hounsfield too so that'll go to the top of the list when the inevitable happens.
I really appreciate your reply (y)
Where is Ricky anyway? A really sound guy.

Hounsfield really good boilers they were founded using old boulter engineers and we all know what
good boilers they were,shame Worcester bought them out.Bob

Cheers Andrew, that's what I thought.....I remember Ricky (Boilerman 2) was a great supporter of Hounsfield too so that'll go to the top of the list when the inevitable happens.
I really appreciate your reply (y)
Where is Ricky anyway? A really sound guy.

He's still around! He still posts on the oil forum but not as much as he used to.

Andrew Hounsfield also posts on the forum and is a switched on guy.

It's not 91% efficient - you/your service engineer are confusing combustion efficiency with thermal efficiency, which is a different thing entirely. A boiler can be burning at 91% efficiency but still throwing 30% of its heat out of the flue rather than putting it into your heating system, thus making it 70% efficient.

Having said that, it's still not going to pay for itself if you have it replaced with a condensing model

Hence my question. When you get a service sheet quoting 90% its easy to interpret that as there only being 10% of possible gain left. It sounds like its not worth it anyway, unless the oil consumption really would drop by 30%

Bob and Muggles you should have received an email confirming your membership of the forum

Sorry if this is making the thread messy!

If you replace your Panda wit a new boiler, to comply with Building Control regulations and get certified, your system should be brought fully up to date. I wouldn't say this always happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back