Is my oven circuit up to specification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, have 2 questions hope someone can set me on right path.

Had an electrician in to upgrade 16 edition box to 17 edition did some like for like work on lighting circuit, and new chrome switches etc. I took this opportunity as I am ripping up carpets and decorating. Happy with work very neat quoted for 2 days did it in one by staying an extra hour but I still paid in full for 2 days, hasn't mentioned certification and nothing arrived yet but only a week, should I have at least a MWC for consumer upgrade. He is NICEIC registered?
System earth bonded to services etc and had ring main completely rewired 10 years ago by another electrician.

I asked him to check my oven circuit as it tripped once some time ago (I was using both ovens at the same time which was a one off as I only use combination oven as a microwave or warming oven) cannot remember if it tripped RCD or MCB. He said he would upgrade if I wanted him too but it was not necessary. I pointed out it is a Pyro self cleaning oven which I use twice a year at most all my family have now flown, don't do lots of roasts any more! However just because I don't use both ovens at the same time I would like to think I could, and any family moving into my home after me could also, and be safe.

I have a combination microwave 3400kw and a single oven 3000kw in a tall oven unit both are wired to a switched spur (a single white box with red switch no socket) in the bottom cupboard. The 6ml cable then runs from the box under the cabinet behind plinth on solid concrete floor, then through stud wall into built in cupboard where it is ducted (cupboard used to be coal place but is opened up inside), then through a single brick wall and clipped to skirting board into consumer unit and 32amp MCB. If my research is correct this is a clipped direct circuit. The cable is 2m long max and installed horizontally.

The installation instructions for combi microwave say: Connection is made via plug (where accessible) or via an omnipolar switch. The oven says use a H05V2V2-F type three core cable (3 x 1.5mm2)

Sorry to waffle on but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Had an electrician in to upgrade 16 edition box to 17 edition
Too late now, but I do hope you didn't have that done because the electrician told you you had to.

should I have at least a MWC for consumer upgrade.
No, you should have an EIC, and a Building Regulations completion certificate.

He is NICEIC registered?
Is that a question?

Your cooker circuit is fine for those two ovens, and will not trip because of an overload.

Thank you.

No I asked for the upgrade, he just replaced the upstairs and downstairs lights with RCD's other than that the consumer unit wasn't touched. He readily agreed though.

No I know he is registered with NICEIC I checked before calling him.

NICEIC say the upgrade requires a minor work certificate so I am going to call and ask if it is on it's way.

Thanks again

NICEIC say the upgrade requires a minor work certificate so I am going to call and ask if it is on it's way.
It would be the wrong question, given that a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate is completely impermissible for a replacement distribution board. An Electrical Installation Certificate is required.

I can assure you that the NICEIC will tell you the same thing (perhaps your question was misunderstood) as compliance with the IET Wiring Regulations is required.

Sponsored Links
It wasn't a replacement CU - I too thought it was, but from what the OP says it was a couple of MCBs replaced with RCBOs.

It wasn't a replacement CU - I too thought it was, but from what the OP says it was a couple of MCBs replaced with RCBOs.
Oh. My mistake.

Although it is debateable whether a MEIWC would be suitable if the protective device has been altered anyway. It could be construed to be a new circuit.

Thanks ban-all-sheds, I did explain fully that the CU had only had the MCB lights changed to RCB's and they said twice MWC only, my Electrician has confirmed and the paperwork is on it's way.
:) Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back