Is my plumber ripping me off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have been using a plumber for a while to attend to issues in rented property and there's been a couple of things recently that have made me question whether I can trust this guy.

The most significant was a quadrant shower cubicle, installed in 2012. The door had come off and one of the wheels had gone missing. He was called out and asked where the shower cubicle came from. I said B&Q, he went to buy a replacement part but reported back that the shower type had been discontinued and there would be no way to get a new wheel and my only option was to replace the whole shower cubicle. He quoted over £1.3k inc VAT. He said the whole shower was in pretty poor condition and suggested we replaced the cubicle, tray and remove the tiles and replace for multi board.

I have just visited the property and totally disagree, the tiling is sound, the grout, the silicone is free of mould, its all water tight. Other than the wheel being missing from the top runner, its all good.

I did some googling and found websites selling the wheels which ask you to take a set of measurements, such as wheel diameter, glass to wheel distance and hole in glass diameter. I easily found the replacement part and identified it as being exactly the same one by the photo.

One of these websites said "if you're in doubt about what parts you need consult a plumber". I just want to know if replacement of a shower door wheel is considered a normal plumber like task or whether its not common knowledge there are sources you can buy new wheels from? Is this plumber taking the **** or would it be reasonable for a proper plumber not to know you can buy parts like this? Any advice welcomed, thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's is not a fair cost, and most plumbers should be able to source replacement shower door parts.

Regards

At a guess he probably didnt want the hassle of locating and costing for a replacement wheel, and guaranteeing the Shower unit would be serviceable for the future
B & Q equipment tends to be obsolete once they have sold out that particular range

I easily found the replacement part and identified it as being exactly the same one

Your plumber has not been able to source the replacement/repair part so he may have wanted to exchange the faulty shower screen enclosure but not able to fit a new enclosure directly to the existing shower tray as the shape/dimensions vary. So he quoted for a new shower enclosure,new tray and re tiling to suit the new enclosure/tray dimensions.
Your B&q goods could be designed for the enclosure to fit that tray only and sold as a complete unit,often their quality varies and are short production run items and not always uk made.
if your shower screen is glass please make sure its safety glass,its part of landlord dutys.

I dont think your plumber is ripping you off,he did try to source the part by visiting that shed you mentioned and maybe he internet searched for an oem part rather than something that looks like it will fit,he also has a duty of care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Thank you all 3 for your answers. This was my reasoning for posting this question here and not just launching into one. Tbf, he has always gone back to jobs where there's been an issue with his work unless he has specifically before hand said "I can make no guarantees".

I understand your comments old&bold, I get why he has quoted for the whole shaboodle - I also appreciate it was a ****e shower screen to start with and with the benefit of hindsight, I should have opted for something that cost a few quid more - you live and learn.

I'm not saying one way or the other if I think he is ripping you off.... But consider who is going to pay his "research time" for the spare parts.... How much time can he invest and subsequently charge for before it becomes unfeasible. Especially when you factor in that you are not his only customer. If he had half a dozen jobs that required a couple of hours hunting around DIY sheds for obsolete parts he could very quickly be out of pocket.

As Dan said, how long did it take you to find the part? What if it doesn't fit? Would you pay your 'robbing plumber' for this time?

Jobs like this are a PITA, you can spend ages sourcing a part which only costs a few pounds, then spend an hour fitting it, only for cust to moan about the bill.
Wherever possible, I try to get cust to source part, and get them to agree a figure for fitting said £2.56 part.

One make of shower I've come across a time or two, you can only change the wheels by taking the enclosure out:evil:
Who the hell designed that?

What should be a ten minute job takes hours.

Consequently, as soon as I hear " I've got a leaking shower", goes in the same pile as " I've got a saniflow...":eek:

Totally agree how much time do you think should be wasted on locating parts for items from the likes of B&Q & similar outlets, people don't think that you have a life beyond work, in cases like this if customer has purchased an item its down to them to find the parts, OK for us to spend time & fuel running around without pay ! or sat on a PC at home, But how would you like a bill for 4 or 5 hrs spent looking for a part

Could you not fit this wheel? Or buy it and ask him to do so, price should drop to £150ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back