is the water going pink !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have had a new bathroom fitted by * * * and they have to do it all again as the shower cubicle is leaking and the shower tray is not level, anyway that is another story. the problem we have is there is a pink
colouring being washed around the shower tray, the bottom of the doors,
in the corner (it's a quadrant shower cubicle) and on the bottom covered screws that fasten the cubicle sides to the tiles on the wall . we reported
this and when the fitter came out (to try to sort out other complaints ) he said it was due to some soap/shampoo/ showergel, and had happened to him. but we don't use anything like this colour, the soap is white and the
shampoo pale yellow, showergel blue. the fitter did undo the height rail
and put some sealant on the screw, as it did look like this was where it was coming from and was staining the tiles directly under where the height rail was fixed onto the tiles. but we have noticed since it is also
inside the holes in the shower head, where the water comes out of, how could any shampoo/soap/showergel get into the shower head, we have noticed in one of the corners in the bathroom (we have no skirting board the tiles go to the floor) that it also seems to be appearing there as well.
has anyone any ideas please :eek:

Sponsored Links
Some moulds are pink, and grow on grout, but inside the showerhead?!! Do you have very soft or softened water? (Could be slightly acidic and attacking the copper)

chris, you get about! Here we go again...how can this be solved?

Sponsored Links
* * * have finally been and fitted a new shower cubicle, but apparently
the tray is now level :eek: but fitter still can not explain the pink
colouring. the shower hose and head was also leaking, so we have put on a new one 3 days ago, no sign of pink up to now, but it's early days yet.

flip flop read what chris says. Pink will come back unless you clean the wet areas regularly.

The pink colouring is slowly coming back, and we have been using
shower cleaner, the one you spray after each shower and leave, it is worse round the plug hole. I still don't understand why it disappeared for
a short while when we replaced the shower head.

I live in birmingham and get this problem. I think it due to deposits of minerals that are present in the water. I have never cured the problem, but I have bought a phosphate type dosing devise. This makes the mineral stay in solution in the water and prevents it discolouring your shower surfaces.

I have exactly the same problem with standing water here in Aberdeen - it will produce pink deposits. I am certain that it is because of an additive to the water. Strontium salts are a red colour, and strontium is very good for you!

SparkyTris said:
I have exactly the same problem with standing water here in Aberdeen - it will produce pink deposits. I am certain that it is because of an additive to the water. Strontium salts are a red colour, and strontium is very good for you!

Err, don't you mean selenium. Strontium 90 is what you get from Nuclear Fallouts !

but does it turn your shower tray pink
you drink what you like
(could explain it )
beer shower bed
funny coulred shower tray
and no i didnt miss the obvious

I get the same thing here in Herts: you can see it round the plug hole of the bath if it hasn't been cleaned in a couple of days. The water itself doesn't look pink, mind.

Perhaps it is gypsum in the water? Plaster is a kind of pinky brown, and is made of gypsum.

I have asked Dow Corning about this. Let's see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back