Is my plumbers advice correct- Faulty Central Heating System

I guess you are suggesting we keep the existing
boiler but upgrade the design.
Yes, but subject to an experienced heating engineer checking over theboiler, in particular to see if the heat exchanger is sound internally and externally. These boilers soldier on for many years with few things to go wrong. It will probably last longer than a new combi!

Sponsored Links
Interesting.

We had a quote for this from one of the 'team' before we did
the rads - £350.
Knowing we had these weird rads with corroded internal pipes, we decided that on its own, it was unlikely to work.
We were told they would flush the system, then run chemicals
for a few days, then refill and add the preserving chemicals. At least,
we think that was the order of things. Interestingly, isolation of the HW circuit was not mentioned !. Back to that valve again.

When powerflushing, the gravity HW circuit has to be flushed, but when doing the rads it needs to be isolated so that the water does not take the course of least resistance and mostly go down the large gravity pipes.

Sponsored Links
I know: give us your address, and all the contributors to this board can then convene at your place, scratch our heads, discuss stuff, and look at stuff for a few hours! You can make us tea! It'll be great!

:LOL:

I think that HSS do hire them, but you'd have to let them know in advance. HSS ain't cheap either. Probably best part of £200 for a weekend I reckon. £30 ish for chemicals (cheaner & inhibitor). Bit of a big job for a DIY though, if you're thinking of tackling it yourself make sure you've got a mate or two to help you.

Thanks ACO.
Not much of a saving for the work involved.

And thanks all, off for some kip now, I will let you know how things progress.

Boiler should have an anti gravity valve fitted on the flow to the rads roughly within a couple of feet of the boiler, these partially block and restrict flow to rads. take this out an check it before going down power flush route

One other thing I forgot to mention last night.
The upstairs rads can only be bled if the CH is off.
If CH is on - no flow!

"mike.braund said:-

""I made an effort to cut off 3 fingers with a circular saw, fortunately not totally successfully"""

Clearly you should have employed a professional to do it properly !!!

could well be craap in the manifold ?! if its compression u could drain down below its height and take pipes of and have a look...i have seen a few with lots of debri sitting in the bottom of them obstructing the flow to certain pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back