Is my wall ready for tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just today finished removing my kitchen tiles in order to be replaced. They run from worktop up about half a metre up the wall. However ran into the usual problems of stubborn adhesive all over the wall. Trying to remove this was hard and ended up soaking it to get most of it off.

This was messy and when scraped ended up taking a paper like layer off over the plaster to reveal brown layer underneath. I intend to make this good by tearing off all the loose paper covering and sanding down as much as i can and filling where the gaps are too deep with standard polyfilla

Is this stuff safe to put adhesive on and tile straight over or do I need to treat the surface first, as I seem to have taken off a wall covering?

Sponsored Links
i take it...its plasterboard?

if so just skim the area with a flex cement based adhesive,..dont rip anymore off the paper off tho.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is plasterboard (sorry wasn't obvious to me before ... i'm a DIY newbie). My dad says he has some Plasterboard sealer in his shed that he got from Wickes...do you think this would work if I slapped a layer on...although there is about 1mm layer in places where the adhesive did not fully scrape off but this is more or less even with the surface and i'm thinking the PB sealer may smooth things over a bit

Sponsored Links
id get a plaster to come and skim over it for you that way it would be sealed and nice and flat for tiling ur never gonna get all the adhesive off and u only need a tiny bit to cause u problems once u start tiling

get it prepared right from the start and makes the other jobs a lot easier

id get a plaster to come and skim over it for you that way it would be sealed and nice and flat for tiling ur never gonna get all the adhesive off and u only need a tiny bit to cause u problems once u start tiling

get it prepared right from the start and makes the other jobs a lot easier

am guessing here it only a couple off mm,...so prime with an acrylic primer and skim with a flex rapidset.

set in about 3hrs then using the same rapidset flex tile away!...no need for a plasterer imo.(waste of money)...

Tiles are a ceramic metallic-copper effect tile about 100mm x 100mm, so fairly small in size.

Skimming sounds like it needs quite a lot of skill to do. The PB has had about 60% of the paper ripped off. but it's only down to the white plaster in some areas ... mostly down to the dark brown paper layer. Some large chunks so wall showing through (fist size) pulled out above the sockets (3-4 sockets around splashback).

Would it be feasible to do this:-

1. Fill larger holes above sockets with Polycell Plaster Repairer
2. Sand down rest of splashback with electric sander (mouse) to make old remnants of adhesive level with paper/PB surface
3. Wipe down
4. Seal with appropriate sealant/PVA
5. Tile

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I have included some pictures....please see my album "Kitchen Project" in my profile[/img]

thats exactly the reason why you would get a plasterer because skimming is a skill even if it is with tile adhesive if you dont get it flat uve got a nightmare on your hands you might have to pay out if need be but thats the way it goes

am guessing here it only a couple off mm,...so prime with an acrylic primer and skim with a flex rapidset.

set in about 3hrs then using the same rapidset flex tile away!...no need for a plasterer imo.(waste of money)...

I agree with what Tictic says. It's only a small area too, plus, most of it is below the units anyway. The area beside the window isn't too bad at all.

I agree with what Tictic says. It's only a small area too, plus, most of it is below the units anyway. The area beside the window isn't too bad at all.
Tha's also what I'd do.
DO NOT use PVA to prime, use an acrlic or an SBR primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back