Is my wiring safe??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician has left a light wiring job undone due to a family illness. In the spare room he has left (LNE) wires coming out of the ceiling (new rose being fitted) and the wall where a new light switch is being fitted. All the wires have 'choc-block' on the ends and he should be back on Friday to finish the job. Is the wiring safe? All advice greatly appreciated as my wife is driving me round the bend.

Thanks.

Hawk

Sponsored Links
its safe in that its not about to go up in flames. but if you touch it you may get a shock and die.

Hey thanks for putting my mind at rest. The room is locked shut so there is not chance of anyone getting close.

Personally I'd be a bit wary of an electrican who left live wires dangling. OK, unforseen circumstances for him, but he should have made safe before leaving the premises.

Sponsored Links
The fact they are all in chock block although isn't ideal should stop someone from accidentally touching them. Could put a switch/blank plate on the wall just to conceal the wires.

Spark123 said:
The fact they are all in chock block although isn't ideal should stop someone from accidentally touching them.

Oh, I misread the original post, I thought the wires at the light switch were choc blocked but the celing wires had been left bare. But the as you say choc blocking the wires doesn't really satisfactorily insulate.

Dis the sparky place the originating live wire of the affected circuit in the earth terminal in the consumer unit?
That is a recognised way of making an unused circuit safe.

Thanks for all the replies. Kai: dont know if he did that. I have now covered the choc-bloc with insulating tape and locked
the door of this room.

Hawk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back