Is Natural Slate on Dormer Cheeks on Loft Extension OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just recently had a loft extension done. The builders were not great and we are glad to see the back of them!

However we are now worried that they have used to wrong materials for the dormer cheeks and front. My neighbor had a leak in his roof and a roofer came to look. When he was here he commented on our dormer saying that natural slates are not allowed to be used on the dormer as they are hanging vertically?

I am hoping this is not true and cannot find anything on the Internet saying that slates are no allowed. But I am worried that when we come to sell the house it would be picked up as an issue!

Does anybody know if natural slate is ok to be used for vertical dormer cheeks and the front? If so could you point me to the relevant standards document so I can sleep at night?! I'd rather have this information before I get back in contact with the builders. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As above, loads of dormers have natural slate on the cheeks, and there is no
authority to say it should not be used.
It has to be carefully weathered with lead at the external corners, though, as this can be a weak spot.
It also does not look very attractive, as the slates are too big and can give a 'boxy' appearance to the dormer.
Better to use concrete plain tile IMO.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back