Is one plastic pipe to brass compression fitting better than another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have plastic pipe going to a brass garden tap. This was done badly before (by me) and resulted in the fitting coming loose and wasting a lot of water. I want to do it properly now but am very nervous from the last incident and want to make a fitting that will not come loose. From my searches, I’ve read of 2 means of connecting plastic pipe to a brass compression fitting. The first using an insert in the plastic and the second using a plastic to copper pipe adapter, and then taking the copper into the compression fitting. So my question is, is one much better over another (i.e. less chance of it coming loose)?
Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
You need to cut the end of the plastic pipe dead square (there are tools for this), then use the correct insert for the pipe.
Use a copper olive for the compression connection and all will be fine.....the pipe shouldn't be scratched though.
Personally I prefer the stainless steel inserts for this, rather than the plastic ones but either should do. You'd maybe consider fitting a double check isolator inside the property at the same time?
John :)

Thanks all. I bought the insert and soon will get down to doing the work.
How tight should I make the compression fitting?

Sponsored Links
What make if pipe?
You know speed fit make different inserts for compression fittings

Thanks.
I have the insert that mentioned for compression fittings.
I don't remember the brand of pipe. It was dark grey plastic (or PVC?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back