Is our boiler safe - lights up with a BANG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - our back boiler has started igniting itself very fiercely with a very loud boom (like an 'explosion') and is also firing out muck each time it does this. (A few days ago the pilot light went out and wouldn't relight without the help of a lighted taper - not sure if there is a link though?) -

Is our boiler still safe to use?? - I am a bit worried as it is situated in the chimney breast directly below our bedroom!!!

Here is some more information as requested: I think the boiler is a Baxi Back Boiler with a 'Myson' gas fire in front of it and it is located in the living room chimney. We haven't had any real problems with it until Friday evening when the pilot light went out and wouldn't relight with the ignition switch (the ignition switch was making a spark but not lighting anything). Now the boiler is relit thanks to a lighted taper and a very kind, tolerant Transco engineer (long story!!), but about 3 days later it has started to make a very loud "woooff" noise when lighting (that shakes the whole room!!) and fires out what we think is dust at the same time. (Hope this helps?)

Sponsored Links
more info required, please read 3rd "anouncement" down from the top, on the plumbing section

Sponsored Links
DEFINATLY needs a service, i came across one once that the insulation in the conbustion chamber had falled down, when it lit,..............BOOM.........

i had to go home and change me undies....

Have things changed ? can you fit a Myson fire on a Baxi back boiler , surely it has to be a Baxi fire front ? :eek:

myson and baxi are now the same company.....................baxi group includes baxi (obviously) potterton, myson, main, valor, wonderfire, heatrea sadia, and some others.....

Thank you!! - I took all your advice and got it serviced today...apparently there was gas floating about all over the place inside the boiler and a very dodgy ignition mechanism - all caused by what appears to have been a very bad DIY botch-up job by the previous owner!!!
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back