Is P3 mask filter enough to protect while cleaning black mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I need to remove some black mould from walls. I have a jsp force 8 half mask respirator with some standard p3 dust filters. Would a new set of these be suitable to filter spores etc or would a higher grade set of filters be needed? I've been looking around t he net and there seems some contradiction on whether p3 is suitable?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First thing, suppress the dust.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) is intended to be the last line of defence against personal harm to the wearer.
Respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is a subset of PPE.

Damp the mould down (use a weak bleach solution, but also bear in mind to protect yourself against that too).
Dispose of the waste (including the cleaning implements, cloths etc) appropriately.

After all that, P3 filters in a properly-fitting facepiece should be fine.

Not needed, very little risk from a bit of mould , you breath in mould spores regularly , you just don’t see them unless they settle and grow .

Sponsored Links
Agree with @Brigadier .
Rather than work the mould dry, wet it with bleach (or white vinegar), a spray bottle or garden sprayer work wonders.
That way there'll be virtually nothing flying around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back