Is plumber mugging me off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called a plumber to connect up the waste under my kitchen sink

Being a brand new kitchen, a cutout needs to be made in the base unit, in order to feed/connect the washing machine hose outlet to the waste

London plumber is charging me the equivalent of 2 hrs labour

Am I wrong in saying that any competent plumber wouldn't take longer than an hour to complete this?

If I am being a tight fisted b... feel free to let me know :D:D

upload_2020-8-26_9-23-41.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If everything is there and all that's needed is a hole at the top of the cabinet and the drain hose connected to the trap then no it's shouldn't even take half an hour.

If everything is there and all that's needed is a hole at the top of the cabinet and the drain hose connected to the trap then no it's shouldn't even take half an hour.

Is some travel time involved? Is there a minimum time for each job?

Am I wrong in saying that any competent plumber wouldn't take longer than an hour to complete this
I took it from that sentence that the OP was asking about the time to do the job itself and not about travel/parking/tea/coffee/lunch/min price (@ 2hr?? hopefully not) or anything else that isn't actually doing the job.

Sponsored Links
I took it from that sentence that the OP was asking about the time to do the job itself and not about travel/parking/tea/coffee/lunch/min price (@ 2hr?? hopefully not) or anything else that isn't actually doing the job.

I just would not expect any job to be chargeable as less than an hour, unless the guy were already on site doing something else.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

The plumber lives very close, so travel is not being accounted for in the 2 hr labour charge

I have also edited the picture in my original post to highlight the waste that need to be connected

The washing machine outlet will be connected too

Get a price from Pimlico plumbers, then you will think your plumber is cheap :D

whats the hourly rate? Plumbers can charge £70 an hour plus vat.

Doesn't seem unreasonable, but I would say he ought to have explained his pricing structure first.
Most tradies would have difficulty in fitting more than 3 little jobs in a day unless they are in the immediate area to each other.

Potential return trip to plumbers merchant for materials/parts, diesel and time waiting to be served?

OP has also mentioned washing machine fitting, two additional holes to be drilled for supply & waste pipe work? Packaging & transit bolts to be removed from new machine? Getting machine level on floor? New machine test rinse cycle?

If so, above takes time, more than an hour easy.

Potential return trip to plumbers merchant for materials/parts, diesel and time waiting to be served?

OP has also mentioned washing machine fitting, two additional holes to be drilled for supply & waste pipe work? Packaging & transit bolts to be removed from new machine? Getting machine level on floor? New machine test rinse cycle?

If so, above takes time, more than an hour easy.

The Op only mentioned a hole and minor modification to pipe work, nothing about installing and commissioning the washer, which might not be in the plumbers remit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back