KITCHEN SINK WASTE

@XrayDave
I think we would all agree that it has actually been a pleasure to try and help you. You have given as much information as possible, (including valuable photo's), and have listened and heeded the explanations given. You have also done that thing that most of us yearn for. FEEDBACK!!!
There is nothing to dispiriting than for a number of people to give sensible, accurate advice and then no response from the OP to say if they took the advice or if it worked. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Managed to get around to doing the waste today.

Due to the undersink geography, this is as good as I can get.

Trap 1.JPG

and

Trap 2.JPG

The metal tray was a "just in case" for potential leaks at the lowest point.

Or, do I need an additional P-trap between A & B in the picture below??

Trap 3.jpg

I have a couple of 'bottle traps' that could also potentually be used.

Thoughts folks?

XRD

Last edited:
No need for any more traps. Looks good. Not too clear from the pics, just make sure the long horizontal pipe has a slight fall towards the outlet.

Sponsored Links
Yep -
No need for any more traps. Looks good. Not too clear from the pics, just make sure the long horizontal pipe has a slight fall towards the outlet.

Yep - it does. That's why the connecting pipe on the right is soooo short!

Dave

Cracking job @XrayDave ! You'll be giving lessons to plumbers before you know it.
Well done, congratulations and thanks once again for the update/feedback.

Now your cookin !!
Cracking job @XrayDave ! You'll be giving lessons to plumbers before you know it.
Well done, congratulations and thanks once again for the update/feedback.
Tidy work, seen worse jobs from supposed 'professionals'. Top Marks for that.
Thank you.

Once again my wholehearted thanks - I couldn't have done it without the help of those on the forum and it is very much appreciated.

At one point I was at a complete loss as to what to do trying to re-fit the old (cleaned) pipework to what was essentially the same sink and despite marking all the joints whilst disassembling, couldn't make it work.

Thought of this forum and the good folks on here and - sorted!

I wouldn't presume to give advice to the pros - I don't know that much.

Dave

Last edited:
Think I can speak for the Majority, Glad to be of help, Good to see you've got it sorted, Thanks for taking the advice you were given (and not arguing you know better), and finally, Cheers for showing us the finished result.

Makes it all worthwhile. (y)

Think I can speak for the Majority, Glad to be of help, Good to see you've got it sorted, Thanks for taking the advice you were given (and not arguing you know better), and finally, Cheers for showing us the finished result.

Makes it all worthwhile. (y)
You are most welcome.

It is the least I can do in recognition of the help & advice given on this forum for which I am most grateful.

I have given advice on other forums (fora?) and you never know what happened next. Did they follow the advice or not - you never know!

I'm happy to have saved my daughter some $$$ as well - did I say that the plumbers who took the sink out wanted c. £170-180 to fit & plumb the new one in??

Due to the botched job the original "plumbers" did at removing the old sink - sawing the hot & cold pipes off with NO pipework left to re-connect anything (see below) and leaving the waste (bottom right of pictures (see post #1), they have refunded half of the cost - or at least promised to do so (they hadn't managed to do that 24hrs after the conversation), so that's a result.

H&C Pipes 1.JPG

and

H&C Pipes 2.JPG

Dave

Last edited:
Oh dear, your daughter was unfortunate in getting workers that obviously didn't give a $hit. happens all the time, they think they are a dark art but a lot more people are better armed to expose these idiots for the horse riders they are.

Great to see you got it sorted and as the others have said, you would put a load of trades that profess to professional to shame with that outcome.

In all honesty, I wouldn't call anyone cutting a pipe off like that a 'Plumber', even in the loosest sense of the word. Butcher and Cowboy are words that do spring to mind though!
Pointless struggling to hacksaw through 2 pipes, no doubt in an awkward spot, when much easier and simpler to just undo the two compression nuts on the outlet side of the valves, and remove the pipes from there, replacing nuts when finished. Leaves an easy connection for your new pipework, just need a couple of olives to make the joints. :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I wouldn't call anyone cutting a pipe off like that a 'Plumber', even in the loosest sense of the word. Butcher and Cowboy are words that do spring to mind though!
Pointless struggling to hacksaw through 2 pipes, no doubt in an awkward spot, when much easier and simpler to just undo the two compression nuts on the outlet side of the valves, and remove the pipes from there, replacing nuts when finished. Leaves an easy connection for your new pipework, just need a couple of olives to make the joints. :rolleyes:

Well, yes, you'd think wouldn't you?

When I came to loosen the nuts, they were on extremely tight - I said in an earlier post that the guys that fitted them must have had at least 3 Weetabix for breakfast. This would explain why the "Plumbers" went for the easier option of sawing them off I think - too much "bother" otherwise.

I couldn't move either by myself but my daughter (holding some slip-joint pliers over the valve) and me (using a Bahco ajustable spanner) managed to loosen them both between us.

Given that TWO "plumbers" turned up you'd have tought that they'd have managed, but obviously too easy to get a metal-bladed multi-tool and saw them off.

Luckily, I was fitting some flexible pipes to the monobloc tap (as can be seen in the first picture in my original post) - however, when I came to open the cold water valve, we only got a trickle of water so the valve had to be replaced. I managed to shut both the hot and cold water feeds off upstream with some further isolation valves (the access to these is visible on the right of the first picture in post #14 this thread), luckily the nuts on the feed side were a little bit easier to loosen.

So, given that the cold water isolation valve had failed, I replaced both hot & cold with new.

I guess, if you are in the trade, that you've seen worse but yes, "Butch Cowboy and the Sundance Kid" spring to mind!

Dave

Overtightened compression joints on sinks, I was always told were the work of Kitchen Fitters.

Having seen a lot of their 'Plumbing' since, I can now see why....

With the right tools (for the worst a pair of vice grips and a large adjustable) then there isn't a compression joint that shouldn't be able to be moved. If the guys that arrived don't have the right tools then they'll never be up to the task and by the sounds of it, then the closest the guys that arrived have been to a plumber, is slept with one.

Glad to hear it's back on track now and in a much better state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back