Is ply ok for garden bench slats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been persuaded to renovate a garden bench. Cast iron end with wooden slat type.
There's no real money in the pot for buying decent hardwood, so could I use ply?
Wickes and B&Q do a Temperate Softwood Ply (Structural) for reasonable money.
There are 5 weight bearing slats 60 x 18 x 1200 . They are supported 50mm in from each end with just a tie strip midway. Would this support two adults
If so, and if I were to prime , undercoat and finish it would it last two or three years?

Sponsored Links
I think even the best quality WBP ply would tend to delaminate over the years.....if hardwood is a no go, then tanalised timber laths could be an option.
I'd go thicker than 18mm, personally.
John :)

Hardwood unless it is to be stored undercover when not in use. Last time I looked they were £12.99 in wilkinsons.

Ply, any ply, would be no good in terms of weather resistance. And I would suspect no good anyway when cut to use as slats.

I wonder if the cheapest option would be to select some knot-free 22mm floorboards, rip them down to size and treat? Our gate is still going strong after 12 years:cool:

Sponsored Links
25mm CCA is best. Done it loads of times,

i think even marine ply wont last.
why not keep a look out in the free ads/face book(buy swap sell)or friday ad.loads of peeps getting rid of things that maybe you can butcher and remake what you need.

I've got the same thing to do whenI get around to it, :rolleyes: I was going to get some hardwood decking and rip it down into slats.

Thank you. Lots of good helpful suggestions here. Think I'll ask around for hardwood decking off cuts that I can have ripped to size.

Anyone got any apare? Chippenham area, Wilts. SN13.

I used decking to do mine this year, just run it down the saw.
I also replaced the timbers on the garden table the same way

I would think even cheap whitewood spruce/pine would last longer outside than ply (and be cheaper too)

Larch would work really well and only cost a few quid, if there's a good local sawmill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back