Is rewiring needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Based on the attached photo of the electrics box, can one tell if rewiring is needed or what its condition is ? This is a 3 bedroomed house. Thanks in advance. View media item 33413

Sponsored Links
Based entirely on the photo you couldn't tell.

A full periodic would be advisable or even a half hour buyers inspection.

A new consumer unit would also be advisable

Sponsored Links
Thanks OwainDIYer

I think you may be right, if sockets is any indication at least 2 out of 10 are old with an external flat wire running into one of them. Do you think the fuses in the box would be the older wire type?

Assuming it is a full rewire job for a 3 bedroomed house 130sqm in area on two floors do you know what the cost or cost range for rewiring would be roughly?

Hi,

You really do need to get a survey done by a qualified spark, and get some quotes before you decide what to do.

When I price to rewire a house the actual materials required are a small part, the most costly element is labour, and that can only be determined by a survey.

It also depends on what you require, a basic rewire would include two lighting circuits, upstairs and downstairs, three ring mains, upstairs, downstairs and kitchen, and a cooker point, and maybe a shower and immersion heater depending on if these are required.

If you need garage power and lighting, outside security lights, garden lights, pond pump etc etc etc that will of course put the price up.

But the main question will still be how hard is the property to wire? And only a survey will tell you that.

CW.

Do you think the fuses in the box would be the older wire type?

Could be rewireable or could be cartridge fuses - Both styles were available for that type of MEM board. You might even find a mixture. Why not just pull them out and have a look?

But the main question will still be how hard is the property to wire? And only a survey will tell you that.

CW.

Indeed. Also remember that it will cost much, much more if the house is full of furniture and if you expect to live there while the work is being done, with electricity still available at the end of the day.

At a quick glance, there is some newish cabling already. The white cables shown in the picture should still be useable for quite a few more years.
That is providing they have been properly installed.

I saw this on a web site, might be of interest

3 Bedroom complete rewire
Here is what you will get

Lounge 3 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Diner 2 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Kitchen 4 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Hall 1 Double socket, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch (2 way for upstairs light)
Landing 1 Double socket, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch (2 way for upstairs light)
Bedroom 1 3 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Bedroom 2 3 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Bedroom 3 2 Double sockets, 1 ceiling light and 1 switch
Bathroom 1 IP65 Light and pull cord switch

The rewire can be surface mounted, or flush in walls. We refill chases. Wiring in walls is installed in conduit.

Earthing to Gas and Water is included
New 17th Edition Consumer unit is included

Extra points are available at extra cost, you can take sockets out of one room and install in another. Because of the great price we are unable to offer discounts for a lower spec, so you may as well have everything included.

All complete rewires come with a 6 or 10 year guarantee.
(10 year guarantee subject to an electrical service on the 5th anniversary of completion of works)

Prices from £1,900

I saw this on a web site, might be of interest

3 Bedroom complete rewire
Here is what you will get......................

Prices from £1,900

Just got to add the shower circuit - cooker circuit - extraction fan wiring for kitchen and bathroom - spur or circuit for the boiler any outside lights required etc. You might also need two way switch and wiring in the kitchen.

So this quote might be nearer £2400 when complete - assuming an empty house.

Best thing is to write down the number and location of the sockets, switches, ceiling roses etc you require and get at least three quotes - try to use electricians that come recommended - failing that use electricians that are registered with one of the competent persons schemes - at least you will have the benefit of a guarantee even if the electrician is no longer around.

He's right! :D

But please bear in mind, I am not bidding for the job, I am providing the information you requested.

I think it is about right, but you may have to add a 10% Surrey factor too.

Also there is a LOT more you would be well advised to take the opportunity to include if you are haveing a rewire done. BAS will if you ask provide a very useful list of things you might want to consider before having a bog standard job done.

Then the price could double but it is an opportunity that you don't often get to have the house electrics that suit a modern life.

Martin

Based on the attached photo of the electrics box, can one tell if rewiring is needed or what its condition is ? This is a 3 bedroomed house. Thanks in advance.
My gut feeling would be that some remedial work is likely to be needed but a complete rewire is unlikely to be required. The cables leaving the CU all look like PVC to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back