Is sanding this floor worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We've been considering trying to sand the hall floor but I'm not sure we'll be able to get a good enough finish for it to be worth the effort. The floor appears to be pine and is roughly 200 years old. It doesn't seem to have much worm but some of the softer wood between the rings has been lost.

The photograph shows a section I've had a crack at against what we currently have. I chose one of the worst spots, near the front door, to test on - if I can make that look good the rest should be better. Some of the torn our grain has kindly been filled with plaster by the plasterer :rolleyes:

Assuming it's worth the effort what finish would you recommend? I was thinking a fairly dark wax. The thinking there being that wax would fill the torn out grain and help give the floor a uniform colour.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back