Is Sheet Vinyl Ok Over Asbestos Tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought ex-council house and looking at having sheet vinyl quick thick one 4mm in kitchen/entrance hall. I have been informed the old tiles are likely to contain asbestos. I have also been told the asbestos risk in these is very low.

From the pictures, you can see some of the tiles are a right state and need to go. I intend to mop the floor and carefully lift the broken tiles spraying them as I go to keep everything wet. I will also wear throwaway clothes and a PPE3 mask.

Should I get rid of all the tiles in the kitchen or can I leave the ones that still look decent? And will sheet vinyl adhere OK?? (Want to minimise amount of work where possible). There's an area in the kitchen already where a few have been taken up and putting the spirit level across the tile and concrete floor jointly still comes back as level....

IMG-20200226-131000.jpg

Sponsored Links
When I have done it, I sealed the existing surface with a polish for thermoplastic tiles. Then laid paperfelt over the tiles to cover any tile shapes from showing through then laid the vinyl loose roughly cut to shape. Allowed a couple of days trimmed and sealed the edges with silicone and a bar in the doorway.
Did it in a rental I had in the kitchen and bathroom also in my current bathroom been fine. In the rental I used self adhesive tiles to make up the low spots, at home a little bit of cement skim. If you have tiny crumbly bits around the edge dribble some PVA into them to seal.
Been fine for years now.
I will try and find the polish I used and post it.

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/paper_felt_rolls.html
This is paperfelt.
Sorry cannot find the name of the polish I used, thought it was from amazon but not showing in my history, however just search for thermoplastic or marley tile polish there are quite a few out there.
I would not advise sticking to those tiles firstly they are hard to glue to well and secondly if your vinyl is damaged it will be a nightmare to get it up with lumps of tile breaking too.

Sponsored Links
The tiles are easy to remove and no risk unless you intend to crush to a powder and inhale .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back