Is Tarmac my only option for a parking area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is about 650 sqm and for parking for the nursery/barn I am converting

I was kinda hoping for a green(er) alternative

Sponsored Links
Gravel? This is sometimes a by-product of another process, so will be green, will help with drainage and in my opinion look nicer :p

gravel is the cheapest i would have thought.

however you should also consider

it should have a membrane under to stop weeds coming up, and gravel going into the mud

needs to be sevral inches deep

will spread unless contained (edging)

that said

i have graveled the whole garden (hate grass) as its on a slight slope every couple of months i shovel some back to the "top"

I am sure i have seen gravel laid on soil before, but i dont recomend it

Sponsored Links
Thanks - so now I need to work out how much gravel per sqm?

How would I separate out the parking bays?

breezer said:
gravel is the cheapest i would have thought.

however you should also consider

it should have a membrane under to stop weeds coming up, and gravel going into the mud

needs to be sevral inches deep

will spread unless contained (edging)

that said

i have graveled the whole garden (hate grass) as its on a slight slope every couple of months i shovel some back to the "top"

I am sure i have seen gravel laid on soil before, but i dont recomend it

Would have to disagree that it needs to be several inches deep, this leads to severe rutting, the base needs to be well compacted hardcore with a thin layer of gravel, [in my opinion]

paint is not an option :LOL:

i have edgeing stones down one slight side (dont ask why) you can clearly see them as they are about half an inch higher than the gravel, they are also red / pink in colour

confused 2

you may have a point, but that means you have to have hard core, mind you if no hard core available you could always use .......................gravel

mine was not compacted sine its a garden but it bet it is now

How much gravel per sqm?

I could compact it (I have access to diggers/tractors -they can drive backwards & forwards on it?)

Katymac said:
How much gravel per sqm?

I could compact it (I have access to diggers/tractors -they can drive backwards & forwards on it?)

If you are going to compact then use the proper kit for the job. Either a roller or a whacker, but make sure that you have adequate support to contain the gravel at the sides or it will just slip sideways.

Riding a tracked vehicle over loose material will likely just churn it up, even if you are pressing down with a bucket.

Well laid tarmac will last, whereas loose material may need re-rolling every so often.

If you go for gravel, it is only a top dressing layer. It needs a decent base of mot type 1 crushed stone put down and compacted to take the weight of the vehilces. The gravel is not compacted as its like juggling sand, it wont compact as there are no fines in it to help compact it.

If you want to mark out bays you could do it with block paving kerbs or paviors set out and bedded in mortar.

Other options other than gravel are

grasscrete
block paving
concrete
hoggin

have a look at www.pavingexpert.com

My dad wants to use hoggin

I like the grasscrete - but may not be able to afford it :cry:

When it comes down to it I need 650 sqm of it - so it's likely to be a cheaper option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back