Is the door worth complaining about? Again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so we've had this door fitted about 5 years ago I'm sure there a 10 year warranty with it.

We've had nothing but problems the door is constantly dropping we've had them out twice to fix that last one was about 3 months ago, the guy mentioned they might have to change the hinges.

We've also had them out to fix 2 of the glass panes which had fogged up.

The hallway is always cold and the doors most likely the reason why. Last time the door was fixed they pulled off the rubber strip which was loose at the bottom saying they always fall off and we didn't need it.

It's not particularly windy tonight either

Sponsored Links
If there is a 10 year warranty AND they pulled the bottom rubber strip off then yes I'd get them back.
It seems that you were fed some BS to cover up that they removed a part of it's sealing ability.

If there is a 10 year warranty AND they pulled the bottom rubber strip off then yes I'd get them back.
It seems that you were fed some BS to cover up that they removed a part of it's sealing ability.
Yes there's a 10 year warranty. How far do we go until enough enough? This will be the 5th time in 5 years now and it's never been right.

They pulled the rubber strip off the bottom, as the door had dropped again and they couldn't be bothered to fix it I guess.

Yes there's a 10 year warranty. How far do we go until enough enough? This will be the 5th time in 5 years now and it's never been right.

They pulled the rubber strip off the bottom, as the door had dropped again and they couldn't be bothered to fix it I guess.
Shoddy work. Get the lazy buggrs back to do the job properly and fix the door seal.
I usually replace ours every five years and it makes all the difference in this weather. If i can feel the smallest draught around a door, the seal has become unfit for purpose.
It's only a fiver, ffs.

Sponsored Links
Shoddy work. Get the lazy buggrs back to do the job properly and fix the door seal.
I usually replace ours every five years and it makes all the difference in this weather. If i can feel the smallest draught around a door, the seal has become unfit for purpose.
It's only a fiver, ffs.
Hi I’ve just checked my 2 doors at home , both Ali threshold one has that strip one hasn’t and both are draughty. Sorry it’s the downside of a low threshold and the only thing to do is bend the big rubber back a bit as it’s probably gone flat like mine to catch a bit more . Can’t do anything else with it . Lucky you have an internal door as I don’t .

That's the reply I've had from them now. Think they've had enough and don't want the hassle.

The rubber seals underneath has both been ripped off due to the door not being level/catching when we open and close.

Not sure where to go now the doors supposed to have a 10 year warranty

Do you have a copy of the warranty? Maybe its wording would help you apply more pressure with them, depending of course on what the warranty actually covers.

I'm not saying you should need to do this, however if you get nowhere with them, and assuming the existing threshold isn't integrated with the rest of the frame, could you not fit a new threshold yourself or get a local tradesperson to fit it for you?

Sometimes a little bit of grease on the rubber stops it catching/rubbing too much when opening and closing the door.

Right just got a message apparently they got me mixed up with another person there going to order replacement seals and have another look at why the doors dropping.

Here's a pic currently of the seals on the door lol and the bottom frame where it always seems to be catching towards the right side.

IMG_20221214_141324.jpg

IMG_20221214_141043_edit_413206665752052.jpg

That's not a door seal.
It's an accomodation for spiders, bugs and critters of all kinds. o_O

Right just got a message apparently they got me mixed up with another person there going to order replacement seals and have another look at why the doors dropping.
Hopefully they'll get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Well I've been messing with the door tried to put some stormguard weatherstrips underneath they've lasted 2 days with the door being open and closed 3 times in total before starting to be ripped off.

Theres also clear daylight all the way along apart from the right dropped part of the door.

I've bought some brushed weatherstripping from toolstation but don't hold out it's going to last.

Does anyone know where I can get the single rubber strips that have broken off our door-stop door? I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to put them on without taking the door off and flipping it?

IMG_20221218_105933.jpg

IMG_20221217_152656.jpg

Is there a way you can attach an bristle-excluder to the back of the door that'll cut back the breeze, then leave a thick draught excluder along the door to prevent the draughts getting into the room?
If you keep putting strips underneath they'll just keep wearing away, it seems to me.

Is there a way you can attach an bristle-excluder to the back of the door that'll cut back the breeze, then leave a thick draught excluder along the door to prevent the draughts getting into the room?
If you keep putting strips underneath they'll just keep wearing away, it seems to me.
I've looked at a few strips but don't they have to be screwed into the door? I don't fancy doing that as no doubt the company will say it invalidates my warranty.

I've been looking at maybe trying to adjust the hinges from what I can gather there Trojan hinges and you take out the 3 middle hexs which enables you to move the door up and down I'll need to get a mate round to help and some wood to lever the door.

Screenshot_20221218_181022.jpg

Can you used any screwdriver attachment or would it be best to buy this https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/tr...Ls2NALzb12OgSJQdABXOiwR7j1wWhpQRoC6dIQAvD_BwE

3322.jpg

Is the company intending to come back to rectify the issues or have they gone quiet on you? If they're coming back, maybe just leave as is and buy a decent draft excluder to throw down and keep the drafts out?

Is the company intending to come back to rectify the issues or have they gone quiet on you? If they're coming back, maybe just leave as is and buy a decent draft excluder to throw down and keep the drafts out?
There finally coming round today to fix the issue I'll give it a week before it's dropped again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back