Upvc patio door needs tightening HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hoping somebody can solve my problem.

We've noticed the kitchen is always cold again we had a similar problem last year that we just ignored.

Took this pic last night hopefully you can see what im on about,where there's a gap in the seal which is letting a slight draft in.

2h7pik6.jpg

My dad said just take out the screws in the 2nd pic and move the keep back and redrill new holes which will tighten the seal???

16a8le8.jpg

I've seen a few pics where people mention you can adjust the door via the hinges 3rd pic anyone know which screw will make the door tighter?

9bdswl.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Open the door and look at the back of the hinge, hard to explain but in the centre you should see a a rectangle, press this in with a thin screwdriver, it should be plastic and is spring loaded and should release and pop open the front cover on the outside, once open you'll see the Allen bolt, turn these clockwise, rather than winding themselves in they push the doors the opposite way towards each other. Now this is where it can go very wrong very quickly, shut both doors and stand back and look at the gap down the middle between both doors, you might find in fact you probably will that the gap gets wider towards the bottom, if so wind the bolt further on the bottom hinge, you may not even need to touch the top hinge, middle hinge just half as many turns as the bottom hinge. Check check and check after each full turn of the bolt the the door still locks, the closer you get to the perfect position the resistance in the handle comes back just like they were when new.

Winding too much will make the doors 'clap' or rub each other when closing so don't wind them together too much, generally as close as you dare before they start to clap is where they close and lock nicely. Don't go at it like a bull at a gate, turn and check locking, biting off too much and you'll get all in a muddle and you'll not know which way to go

Right so i don't need to look at either the top or bottom on the hinges? a few pics said the top or bottom can adjust the tightness & one will do the height? just pop the cover from the back and it should look something like this?

30d8jev.jpg

That's it that's the bolt that needs turning. The circular cap on top if you remove and use the same Allen key moves the door in or out, the cap underneath if you remove and tighten the bolt moves the door up, only that these are a weird hinge in the up adjustment, they even confuse me sometimes and I'm ace

Sponsored Links
Is that the plastic bit in the middle?? I've pushed it with a screwdriver its not done much not its just stuck pushed back???
2v3rb4m.jpg

Don't worry abit of brute force and its off. Come to think of it how do we get them to go back on and stay covered as the top one just opens??

I think its all sorted Huge Thanks for taking the time to reply(y)

I only had to turn the bottom hinge 1 & half turn clockwise and it looks like its sorted

I've managed to get the bottom cap to go back on pushed it in then to the left and it stays in place although the top still wont

33b1u7c.jpg

Seems the door is still letting in a slight draft towards the middle and top now :confused: is there any way to tighten the seal? If I pull the door to at the handle and hold its great, would moving the keeps be the only way to achieve this or would I need to move the door out the same way I did the bottom half?

There should be a long line (kind of an arrow) on each of the cams its most likely a case of pointing them to the inside of the house to tighten.
Have a play and you will work it out

Thanks guys I've moved the bottom one so fingers crossed the doors a little tighter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back