Is there a correct way to 'Cut In'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently painting a family member's house from top to bottom and want some help with 'cutting in'.

I've usually used masking tape in the past which I now realise isn't the best idea and as well as being time consuming to put up - doesn't get me a straight line.

The YouTube videos I've watched and guides I've read on the internet seem to point towards an angled brush, but why are they so hard to get hold of in shops? Can I get by with a regular brush?

If I use a regular brush, is it best to hold it on it's side and do a narrow line?

And finally should I use a large brush/small roller under the cut in line before rolling the wall?

Hope I've made sense!?

Sponsored Links
a good quality medium sized brush

the quality of the brush is key, i have used cheap "no nonsense" brushes and they were awful, the hairs in the brush fray easily and make the brush difficult to control.

a steady hand and good quality brush imo is best

I've gone back to using sash brushes for all detailed work, picture rails and dados especially, sides of architrave on to walls/ plaster and even stair spindles.
You can turn the brush as you go which means longer continuous runs

Load the brush just right make a paint run 5mm back from the edge your working to, then run the much less loaded brush along the job edge. The first run acts as a paint feeder to the edge and prevents over filling the edge area with too much paint.

Practice, a steady hand, good light and if you use reading glasses use them when painting.

Better a couple of coats than one overloaded messy coat.

Sponsored Links
Cut in from below, and as far as possible hold the brush horizontally and level with the cutting-in edge and your eyes. That is difficult when cutting in to a ceiling, but get your head and the brush as high up as possible.

I use a Purdy 3" angled brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back