Is there a good reason why window boards have horns?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the apprrpriate forum as I expect some pushback. In my defence I love wood as a material and have replaced window boards with oiled hardwood in a previous house.

I'll be replacing all the window boards in the house with new. Every rooms will be replastered and there will be some internal insulation being added as well.

Following an example that I found in the US, I intend to replace all of them with quartz or granite or similar. It is such a practical surface and doesn't suffer any of the maintenance and damage issues that affect traditional window boards. UPVC are very easy to scratch and look cheap, wood is lovely, but needs maintenance and is easily damaged by water and sunlight.

Now to the original question. Is there any reason other than aesthetics why window boards have horns? In my opinion all they do is clutter the window/wall junction. They are more difficult to plaster and decorate and do not appear to serve any useful purpose.

I am open to persuasion

Regards

Tet

Sponsored Links
You would usually plaster once the window boards are installed (And undercoated), so because you cannot perfectly predict the plaster thickness you need to either allow a horn, or risk the board not quite making it as wide as the finished window reveal.

I always allow horns, only about 25mm, and bullnose them to match the front edge. Thinking of how a reveal would look without them, I think it wouldn't look good, even if it perfectly matched the reveal size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back