Is there a joint compound for Central heating????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a rad and new valves but i get a very very slight drip from where the valve srews into the rad.I added some more PTFE tape but the leak is still there not so bad thought.
My question is instead of tape is a compound/paste that i can use on Central heating .

thank nyck

Sponsored Links
Hemp+ Boss white ;) nick some from a retired plumber....

Best is to clean both threads properly, wind the tape correctly and sufficiently, and tighten the tail firmly, spanner is best, most tails need 15 mm.

this

is handy stuff. For maverick joints I have used it on top of ptfe!

Sentinel do something similar, as do a couple of others

Sponsored Links
PTFE tape applied correctly to the threads will not leak. Wind it round tightly about 10-15 turns and screw in tight. You don't need to fanny around with jointing compounds - save that for the olives if you must. The old timers use the jointing compounds on threads cos they think ptfe is new fangled.

PTFE tape applied correctly to the threads will not leak. Wind it round tightly about 10-15 turns and screw in tight. You don't need to **** around with jointing compounds - save that for the olives if you must. The old timers use the jointing compounds on threads cos they think ptfe is new fangled.

You young un's don't know nowt!

PTFE was discovered in the late 1930's and used as a thread sealant as far back as 1940 ish !!

So in reallity it was old to even the old timers!!

I replaced a rad and new valves but i get a very very slight drip from where the valve srews into the rad.I added some more PTFE tape but the leak is still there not so bad thought.
My question is instead of tape is a compound/paste that i can use on Central heating .

thank nyck
remember when you wind PTFE tape onto the valve collar to wind it in the opposite direrection ie anti clock wise, or as you screw into rad the PTFE dosnt seal...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back