is there a magical cure for a leaking asbestos sheet roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I rent a workshop unit with a lowish asbestos corrugated roof. Its quite old and the slope on the roof is quite low. When it rains, the water either seems to back up the roof due to moss blockage etc or seeps underneath the roof sheet overlaps by capilliary action and drips down inside. Over the years, I must have been on the roof about 10 times brushing out the moss and trying to sealant the joints etc but still the water drips in here and there.

Is there a product out there that is foolproof - a kind of wonder roofing sealant etc money no expense, that I can use to fix this problem?

or any other clever ideas that don't involve a new roof!!!

PS curing the condensation in the winter would be nice also :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Possible that wind is blowing the water back up the roof?

Not much to suggest, but painting on a roof repair mastic like acropol, flexacryl or aquaseal... might help you out.

Otherwise stick a big tarp over the lot.

To lose the condensation would require insulating the roof, and ventilating the building more (draughty!)

Can you not get the owner to fix it? No excuse for a leaking roof in a rented building!

yep I quite agree, however the rents half what it should be. The buildings good its just the roof which actually isn't that bad but for what I do in it, its a bit of an issue...

We recently waterproofed an asbestos sheeted roof using a product called Sealoflex which is a liquid applied coating consisting of an undercoat (strengthened at the laps, cracks and over bolt heads with fabric) and then a topcoat. This worked and was quite cost effective. As always with those types of roof be aware of course that it is fragile.

Sponsored Links
With a proper commercial lease, the tenant will normally be responsible for repairs (a full repairing and insuring lease). But check your terms, just to make sure that the landlord should not be doing this work.

Once cement sheets age, then they can become more absorbant.

There are product available to coat the exterior. But be aware that there are recent changes to the law on how asbestos is managed and recorded - so make sure your business conforms in respect of propsed work.

Brush on products will have limited life

Google " Onduline " for a oversheeting roof system

You will have to fix some insulation (quilt or board) to the underside of the sheets to remove the cold surface and the condensation risk

thanks for the tips....

Re. repairing lease etc etc. Don't have any agreement. Very happy with this, as easy in and easy out and have known the landlord for years. I get the building at half price so its all about compromise.

There are 2 products we have used on large scale projects involving Asbestos corrugated sheets. One is Decothane, and requires a fleece between coats, the other is Teknotan, from Ruberoid. The Teknotan is easier, because the structural fibres are incorporated in the product.

The sheets will need a biowash before any coating is applied, and the waste water from this washing must be captured, and disposed of at a recognised site.....aggro. :mad:

One of my first jobs as a lad was hessian/blackjack on the Earls Court exhibition centre......mess doesn't begin to describe it.

All this will be massive hassle and messy. Going back to Woody's suggestion, Onduline corrugated bitumen sheets are the answer here. Only prob is getting rid of the asbestos, but you'll find that many local authorities will collect some and take it away for free, for a small charge. They might not do the whole roof though.

We have a company here that makes sealants for many sellers. Fibre-strands in a thick goo, can be rained on within minutes. About £40 for 5 ltrs and can be trowlled on or brushed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back